Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: YotaFun's Tess (97' SR5 4Runner)

Re: YotaFun's Tess (97' SR5 4Runner)

Oh And I Installed some old 35s for fitment:

Man that is a lot of weight...

What a size Difference:

Truck on 35s!

Re: YotaFun's Tess (97' SR5 4Runner)

So Added Something To The 4Runner

So after the fitment of the 35s to see clearance, I went back to the skinny 33s, that decided to fail doing 75 down the highway so it was time for new tires.

So I scored some worse for wear Ivans, Spruced them up and installed some Dick Cepek's on them:

Then I felt I needed some more on the outside done, she was just looking a little plain, so Limited Flares, Sunroof Deflector, and Hitch Mount Tire Carrier went on:

Then this past summer I finally received the title for my birthday.
    Great news until I lent the truck to a friend who found my mortal enemy hiding underneat:

The frame had finally rusted through underneath.
    While this was the only spot to make it through, it was clear the truck had gotten the cancer and it was past the point of being saved:

This Picture dose not due the rust justice, its fare worse...:

So I came to the decision,
    1) Do I patch, revert to stock and sell?
    2) Do I patch, look for a cleaner 4Runner, move everything over and scrap?
    or
    3) Do I find a way to do a frame swap?

As I have always done with this truck, I decided to do the most difficult option #3 as and effect of option #2 essentially a frame swap like the Taco's, however there is a problem, they do not make the 3rd gen frame anymore, and even if they did, it would cost me $2500 for the frame, which if I searched enough could purchase a cleaner 4Runner for around that price.

So, while search on Craigslist for another 4Runner that I would possibly use in replacement I came across a Diamond in the rough, literally:

It was a running, moving fully functioning 4Runner with a practically new frame, for a golden price of $900!!!
    So the frame swap was on!

So apart they came:

Cleaned and Coated:

The trans on the Donor truck was silent and pulled strong (mine was whining and getting weak)
    So I swapped over the donor trans to my engine.
    Then installed it back in the frame:

Together:

And thats how it currently sits for now, and the donor truck has my old frame with lift and all:

At the moment my build is on hold till I can come to a decision what I want to do, and if I can do it.

Well, reviving this a little.
    I have come to the decision to down size to one 4Runner.
    At the moment I just can't handle two, or have the means to keep both and use one or the other the way I would like.
    I am a little down about it since I would have had a nice platform for a Toy, but you have to play the cards you are dealt.

SO enough of my SOB story.
    I have been working on a few maintenance and a few upgrade items the past couple of months.
    I am going a little out of order since this is all I have pictures of right now.

I wanted to change out my lower control arm cam's because the right side was locked up thanks to wonderful rust, I could barely get the right arm to budge.

I ended up with a set of donor arms from a Tacoma, which I am very happy I went with (i'll elaborate more later).
    First task at hand was removing the old arms.
    I decided to start with the passenger arm since I knew it would be difficult, how difficult didn't rear its ugly face till I really started to get my hands dirty...

I will let the pictures explain:

A lot of heat, a lot of chiseling, and a lot of grinding but they finally came out....

What funny is the drivers side cams came out like they were brand new...

As you can see here in comparison of what everything should look like:

On the Right is the passenger cams, missing the sleeve that the bolt goes through, and on the left, how everything SHOULD look -_-

Finally all done:

So I went to put it on the alignment rack thinking I would have to mess with the cams a lot (which all were set top dead center), however I was really lucky, here is the before shot of when I first put it on the rack:

Practically dead on for Camber and Caster

After alignment:

This 4Runner (Tess with new frame and stock suspension) has probably not seen specs like this since it left the factory!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast