Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Kayakers Here?

Any Kayakers Here?

I have been into kayaking for a while but while on deployment I have spent quite a bit of time on the water with my brother. Yokohama bay. Looking forward to kayaking in Ventura/Orange Counties when I get home.

Are there any other kayakers out there?
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

Re: Any Kayakers Here?

I don't kayak, but it is something I wouldn't mind getting into. My boss back at my last job was really into it. Seemed like fun stuff, and I almost bought one myself. My boss knew somebody that had a kayak, paddle, vest, etc for $250. Wish I would have gotten it now.

Does seem like something cool to start doing, but I dunno about all the crazy jumping off waterfalls stuff.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Ken's (paddlenbike) a paddler so hopefully he'll see this thread
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I hope he does see this. I do the open water type of kayaking not the river stuff. I am really liking the sit on top kayaks because you can surf them and jump off into the water without the difficulty of climbing into a sit in type.

________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

I've done it a few times here on the Gulf Coast. I don't own one, but I have access to them to use, and enjoy it from time to time.
    -andy

We did a kayak/canoe trip at the last place I worked. We wanted to do a 10 mile run down the river, but only got to do the 5 mile. The Canoe was pretty fun in itself, and we hit some class II rapids. The only downside to the trip was that the two fat guys (me and another guy) were in the same canoe, and we were riding low. We were dragging on a lot of rocks, and the rest of the group got pretty far ahead. It kinda took the fun out of it, but at least the water was shallow enough that I didn't have to worry about drowning.

This thread makes me want to do another canoe or kayak trip.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I have a couple of sit-on-top ocean kayaks. I take them out to Malibu almost every weekend during summer with friends. I hear there's some cool kayaking spots out toward Ventura I can come out that way.

-Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Very cool. I notice there a usually quite a few used Kayaks on Craigslist.

Jc, are those Scramblers? The Yokosuka on base rental place has one of these and I usually check that one out when I head out. Pretty short at about 11 feet long. It works pretty well for 1-2 hours trips.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
    I hope he does see this. I do the open water type of kayaking not the river stuff. I am really liking the sit on top kayaks because you can surf them and jump off into the water without the difficulty of climbing into a sit in type.

I used to do a lot of kayaking but not so much any more. We own 2 of the Airframe river inflatables and they are good and don't take up as much space as a hard shell. Sit on tops are nice because they are easy to paddle and to get up onto if you decided to get out. They aren't very high performance but they are tough and have few problems. I'd say to buy a used one if you're looking. You can get good deals on Swity's (sit inside) and Scramblers or Malibu's (sit on top).

It's easy to spend a lot on the boat and even easier to buy a high end paddle and floation. Having said that I have less than $100 in my paddle and vest and do fine with it.

Eric,
    No these are smaller 8 ft, yak-boards "surf kayaks". Wider and slower compared to the scramblers.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast