Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: On Owning Evil Black Guns, A Primer

Re: On Owning Evil Black Guns, A Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Lance, did the response make sense?

I guess the first post was not entirely clear.

The conversation turned to these, by saying that "I didn't understand" there was not an implicit judgment that the guns were inherently useless. It is that I do not have them, so it is hard for me to talk about. Similarly, parenthood and childbirth, I can only talk about what others tell me.

I don't think they are evil, I do often think they look menacing, but so do I some times, no worries.

I have not become a crazy hippy while away at school.
    I understood the original post to be a query for perspectives you could not produce from within. It makes sense to me. Not everyone can conceive of everything without some kind of experience.

What chaps my glutes is when someone is unable to discern the need for such a device and then projects his equivocation on the rest of us; often times dismissing valid reasons via pedantic condescendsions.

In this case, Adrian, you are unale to grasp the need for such a thing. In a perfect world none of could. But we live in a world with an increasingly present evil element not content to destroy other evil beings, but to snatch the lives, freedom and property of the innocent.

Each tool in a chest has a specific purpose. A 12mm box end wrench will loosen the same fastener as a 12mm socket; similarly will a pair of pliers. However each tool is designed to be most effective under specific circumstances. The same applies to firearms. Their various calibers, configurations and capacities are designed to accomplish a specific task under specific circumstances.

Some tools are rarely needed. They sit in the chest at the ready for that one task when their services are indispensable. I have, when cleaning my tool chest, removed a tool I rarely use and put it away somewhere. Years later when I need it, the chances are pretty certain that I will not be able to find it and will be left to the impotence of improvisation or modification. It is then when the value of that tool is most poignant and the frustration at my shortsightedness the most accute.

Clearly, you are not suggesting that by projection the rest of society may not have EBRs nor do I think you are shortsighted on this. Having asked the question initially bears witness to that. Ultimately it boils down to 'It is better to have and not need than to need and not have' and being a preexistent right, it is recognized by the constitution and ostensibly guaranteed by the .gov......
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Here is an interesting quote today in the wake of the narrow defeat of the nationwide CCW legislation by the Senate.

The passage of this amendment would have done more to threaten the safety of New Yorkers than anything since the repeal of the assault weapons ban,” Senator Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York and a leading opponent of the amendment, said in a statement.

Exactly what threats to safety have been caused in NY by the assault weapons ban expiring?

It seems like this is being argued from the wrong point of view based on 2A rights. Rather than should you be allowed to own it should be what right do they have to deny or restrict the EBG and what is an EBG.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck

What chaps my glutes is when someone is unable to discern the need for such a device and then projects his equivocation on the rest of us; often times dismissing valid reasons via pedantic condescendsions.
    This, I think, is the heart of the problem.

I don't agree that one needs to have weapons to defend against our government. I think that is a preposterous notion, personally. I do not own weapons for this purpose.

HOWEVER, I support anyone who wishes to own weapons for that purpose. I think it presumptuous to impose your own beliefs on another just because you happen to disagree with a choice. No one is forcing anyone to own a gun. I have respect for those who I know who do not like guns, and do not wish to have guns around them. I choose not to bring my guns into their presence, or homes, because I realize that they have that choice.

Taking guns away just because someone doesn't "see the need for" or "doesn't like them" or "thinks they're scary" is quite frankly, rude. That particular form of anti-gun control thinking has a very familiar ring, doesn't it? Parent-child relations. Problem is, we are adults, and while we may not all act as such, we all pay taxes, we all have the ability to vote, and we are all equally responsible for our actions.

I apply this same reasoning in ALL my political views, which is why I'm so anti-government involvement, leaving me neither on the left, nor the right, nor the center. I'm somewhere behind home plate, I imagine.

I realize that there are finer points that can be discussed, but the net is a hard place to do so. It doesn't allow for the satisfying evolution of a conversation the way beers do...(Hint, hint Cheese).

FWIW, I think you give these counter-arguments too much credit fuster, as pedantic implies education, and I've yet to hear an argument against guns that holds water when any sort of logic, political science, or social science is applied. Just busting your chops a bit,

P.S.

For those reading, when I use the terms "you", "your", "they" etc...I'm using them in the broad, general sense and not singling anyone out in this thread whatsoever. I'm enjoying this discussion quite a bit, and don't want anyone to feel attacked by my views, as that's not my intent.

Cheers!
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

This may be an abrasive splitting of hairs, but I use 'pedantic' in the secondary terms of definition; those being: 2 a: one who makes a show of knowledge b: one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge. 2 : narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned. Unimaginative.

While an educated man is a dynamic force indeed, the same in arrogant contemptuous equivocation is dangerous and incorrigible.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Lance, did the response make sense?

I guess the first post was not entirely clear.

The conversation turned to these, by saying that "I didn't understand" there was not an implicit judgment that the guns were inherently useless. It is that I do not have them, so it is hard for me to talk about. Similarly, parenthood and childbirth, I can only talk about what others tell me.

I don't think they are evil, I do often think they look menacing, but so do I some times, no worries.

I have not become a crazy hippy while away at school.
    Thanks Adrian...that cleared it up for me.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456