Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going fishing tomorrow...

Going fishing tomorrow...

...for the first time in 37 years. My fishing genesis began back in 1972 at the end of a pier on Catalina Island which is about 22 miles off of the coast of California. Through no skill of my own, I caught the largest fish of anyone that week....or so I was told. The local newspaper reporter types took a photo of me holding a huge Sheepshead fish by the nasty gills. And there endeth my fishing career until last week.

I was hiking in the Uinta Mountains with two of my boys when I stumbled on a natural collection pond swollen in a slow running stream about two hours from the trail head and cross country about fifty yds off the trail tucked in a swampy meadow.

I saw some beautiful trout swimming lazily at the edge looking for some tasty treats. Something latent clicked on in my subconscious and I had an irresistible urge to go back and fish that pond.

I've looked forward to it all week. Tonight I went to Cabelas and bought a license, some flies and sundry tackle. I was given a nice pole and reel by a Browning rep some 5 years ago. I retrieved it from behind my safe and verified its operation. I just finished gathering everything I'll need for the hike in and now I wait. At almost 50 yrs. old I have always been a sportsman, but the prospect of a new adventure has me as giddy as a child on Christmas eve...

Wish me luck.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Re: Going fishing tomorrow...

so which firearm are you using to fish with when the rod and reel fail you? i prefer magnum loads of 00 buck for large fish, #8 for smaller aquatic creatures.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Have fun

I'm right behind you on the fishing things, i got the licence all i need is a trip to bass pros. Haven't gone since i was a kid in the late 70's. Got the urge to take the Dude out and show him the quite you can find outdoors.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Hehe. Yeah, guns...I picked up a Winchester 94 AE in .44 mag a few weeks ago. It's similar to this one but without the optics. I'm leaving mine with iron sites. They can't all be tacticool.

I've always wanted a lever action and since my preferred revolver is a 629 .44 mag, I thought it would be convenient to only need one cartridge when I'm on the trail.

Don't think I'll need to shoot any fish unless the frustrate me

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Nice 30-30 , I have had two of them I miss them both,...
    ...Wheeling since 1989...

I just got back from fishing all day. Fished Caples Lake off of Highway 88 in the South Tahoe area. Got 2 9" trout, small but better than working all day. Water was great and kicked around in my float tube. We also spent some time at Silver Lake. I swear there are only 7 fish in that giant lake. I just practiced my casting, did some swimming and kayaking into the wind. I never really catch many fish but that's not really why I'm out there. There's just something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck
    Hehe. Yeah, guns...I picked up a Winchester 94 AE in .44 mag a few weeks ago. It's similar to this one but without the optics. I'm leaving mine with iron sites. They can't all be tacticool.

I've always wanted a lever action and since my preferred revolver is a 629 .44 mag, I thought it would be convenient to only need one cartridge when I'm on the trail.

Don't think I'll need to shoot any fish unless the frustrate me

That's precisely what I'm looking to get for another gun shortly here.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Pfft using a gun on fish.

Get a car battery and hook up the cables then drop them in the water. retrieve them by using a stick. You will get ALL the fish!
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

HAHAHAHA, i am totatlly going to use the car battery next time i go fishing, i run out of beer before i catch anything other than a salt water cat and by then im tired of fishing!
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

fuster, good luck, take lots of pics.

seems we have a few fly fishers here. i have not gone in almost 2 years.

mike: did you go solo on the trip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast