Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear diff is screwed

Rear diff is screwed

Will be pulling it soon, is it possible to put in 4wd, disconnected the rear and just drive in fwd? how fast and would it eff up my front.

im driving an 88 bmw at the moment
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Re: Rear diff is screwed

you could drive it as FWD for short distances no problem but I wouldn't take it up over highway speeds. The other thing to consider is that the diff side bearings support the inner end of the axle shaft, if they are burnt toast, they could take out the outter axle bearings - once the outter bearings are gone there's not much holding the axle shaft and wheel onto the axle housing . . .
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I drove in front wheel drive with my 93 for a short distance and it handled funny. Since your IFS is different from my IFS, yours might be ok. Like corax said, you cannot drive without a rear diff installed.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

id most likely put the rear diff back in, just need to pull it, i probably wont drive it since the bmw is driving great and getting better mileage.

thanks for the input guys. Im still not even sure its the diff, it could be the axles themselves however im not sure, if its the diff i may look for a 4.10 rear end to use for a little bit

may have to trade my 35s for some 33 ATs soon too

With as much height as you have, I assume your front end would be pissed.

As was said, you need a rear diff to go in the stock form.

BMW, eh?
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    id most likely put the rear diff back in, just need to pull it, i probably wont drive it since the bmw is driving great and getting better mileage.

thanks for the input guys. Im still not even sure its the diff, it could be the axles themselves however im not sure, if its the diff i may look for a 4.10 rear end to use for a little bit

may have to trade my 35s for some 33 ATs soon too
    Ive got some 285/75 nitto terra grappler and black helo maxx rims ill trade for your rims and tires..
    WWW.FABTHATINC.COM

well something is messed up and i now do not know why

i put it in fwd, rear is out and now its locking up somehow in the rear, i just backed up like 10 feet
    and it wouldnt push and then a loud bang from the rear and then some more feet and then it stopped again

we are pulling the diff soon

Now when you said the diff is screwed, what do you mean? Was it making noises? Cluncking, etc? It maybe possible that you have something broken off in there. Like something more than and bearing. Was this all of a sudden?

Sounds like you sheared the ring and pinion..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

doesnt make sense.

ok update, we put one wheel on ground other off, it shutters hard and then locks. so locker is somewhat not unlocked all the way or the major resistance is pushing something, does it about ever 2-3 revolutions. sometimes 5-6 revolutions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast