Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLOMatt's 2000 4Runner

SLOMatt's 2000 4Runner

Details and photos can be found at my website.

http://wwww.blankwhitepage.com/autom...toyota-4runner

Overview
    - 2000 Toyota 4runner
    - 3.4 liter V6 5VZE engine
    - 5 spd transmission
    - 4.11:1 3rd members
    - Purchased in December of 2008 with ~82k miles

Engine/Driveline
    - "Deckplate mod" to intake box

Suspension/Steering/Brakes
    - Sonoran Steel System 1.2
    - Polyurethane Steering Rack Bushings

Wheels/Tires
    - Stock 16x7 rims
    - 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn tires

Interior/Electronics
    - Custom 8 fuse / 2 relay power distribution center
    - Custom LED hatch light
    - On Board Air

Exterior/Protection
    - ARB Prado front bumper
    - Stubb's Welding rock rails
    - Extended Rear Diff Breather

[img width=800 height=533]http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/albums/t4r_misc/eIMG_1026.jpg[/img]
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Re: SLOMatt's 2000 4Runner

I took the 4runner on its first offroad trip and it did very well. Moving from an automatic, solid axle, V8 Jeep to a manual, IFS, V6 Toyota is definitely a fairly big change but the 4runner was a lot of fun to wheel. The SS 1.2 lift worked perfectly, I was particularly happy with the articulation in the rear suspension, and the 32" Bighorns provided great traction at 18psi and didn't rub on the body at all. The only issue I ran into was some contact between the driveshaft and the gas tank skidplate which is easily repaired with a sledge hammer. Oh, and with the polyurethane steering rack bushings there is a good amount of kickback through the steering wheel but it's not a big deal.

Here are the pictures:

http://www.blankwhitepage.com/galler...krock_20090815

And some highlights:

- Matt

2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

I've been lazy and haven't updated this in a while, here are some pics.

Bummer, I only have the ABS harness.

But the plug for the switch is there, I just need to find a good 4.10 3rd member.

The clutch has been squeaking for a while, I wonder why? Might as well inspect it.

A little bit further and it might have worn right through the fork.

As expected all three bushings were in perfect shape.

I found a spring at the local ACE, hopefully it will work, otherwise I'll get a Toyota clutch spring.

Good to go.

- Matt

Here's some more detailed photos of my power distribution setup. It's a black abs box from RadioShack with a fused distribution block and two relays in it. The box mounts on top of the stock fuse block and pivots out of the way on a hinge. While I was in there I upgraded the body ground a piece of 4g wire.

[img width=800 height=533]http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/albums/t4r_fuseblock/IMG_0196.jpg[/img]

It's cramped inside but everything fits. At the moment I'm only using 2 of the 8 circuits, one for OBA and one for my IPF lights.
    [img width=800 height=533]http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/albums/t4r_fuseblock/IMG_0198.jpg[/img]

Here you can see the box lifted out of the way so the stock fuses can be accessed.
    [img width=800 height=533]http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/albums/t4r_fuseblock/IMG_0199.jpg[/img]

I'm not sure if I posted this yet, but I hard-mounted a MV-50 compressor in the back of the truck. The full details can be found at the following link:

http://wwww.blankwhitepage.com/automotive/2000-toyota-4runner/on-board-air

There are no heat issues with the compressor mounted in this location.

- Matt

I haven't written up an article for this one yet, but I replaced my rear dome light with a LED and added a LED hatch light. Both are Cree XREs and draw 0.22A at 12v (~2.6w).

LED hatch light, total parts cost is about $17. The housing has a switch so you tap it to turn on and off, and it's wired into the hatch switch so it turns off when the hatch is closed.

Testing the LED's current draw. Even after running for 10+ mins the heatsink barely gets warm.

The blue wire on the right is +12v, the blue wire on the left is the switched ground.

The stock rear dome light uses a 5w incandescent bulb which doesn't put out much light.

I replaced it with an LED, heatsink, and constant current source driver (~650ma).

- Matt

Installed a DieHard Platinum P-4 Battery. Details at the following link.

http://wwww.blankwhitepage.com/autom...um-p-4-battery

- Matt

It seemed that each time I take the 4runner on the trail my gas tank skip plate would get more and more mangled, to the point where my gas tank was getting dented.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Lil' Skips' offroad skid plate, it's working great so far.

A while back I acquired an Edgestar fridge and mounted it in the back seat on a removable platform.

I've also installed a CB radio in the stock ashtray location. Details for all of these changes are on my website (link is in first post).

I'm working on a combination sleeping platform and storage drawer, more pictures to come once it is finished.

- Matt

Today I got around to installing a WARN m8000 in my ARB Prado bumper. I still need to buy some synthetic rope and a fairlead, but otherwise it is ready to go. The solenoid pack is mounted in the "W" cutout in the front of the bumper. The total added weight is a little under 50lbs.

I sleeved the frame bolts with some old suspension bushings so I can get them tight without bending the frame. In the future I may weld a cap on to keep it from deforming during side pulls.

Here is the bumper dismounted and ready for the winch.

The solenoid pack fits into the "W" cutout perfectly, but I don't have the ARB bracket to hold it in place.

The great thing about this mounting location is that all the stock wires are the perfect length. I was a little worried about exposure to the elements and putting the ~7lb solenoid so far forward, but it is worth it for the easy install.

A friend and I made some brackets out of steel plate to hold the solenoid in place. The bottom bracket mounts to the factory holes, and the top bracket mounts to the light's mounting stud.

No more weird "fanged" W hole in the bumper.

- Matt
    Last edited by slomatt; 01-06-2015 at 09:48 PM.

I'm way behind in posting updates to this thread. Here are a few pictures of recent changes to the truck:

New lower ball joints, inner tie rod ends, and rear driveshaft u-joint. All parts were from Toyota, the u-joint is surprisingly expensive. My inner tie rods were in good condition so I did not replace them, in fact none of the parts were showing any wear but I wanted to replace the LBJs as preventative maintenance.

The u-joint at the differential side of the rear driveshaft was sticking and I thought it might be causing a small vibration. The u-joint was surprisingly difficult to remove, after breaking my vise I ended up cutting through one of the arms of the joint and pounding out the caps.

A small puller and ball joint tool made the LBJ and ITRE replacements very easy. New LBJ bolts were used along with thread locker.

Here's the pile of tools I ended up using.

- Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast