Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SLOMatt's 2000 4Runner

Hey look, the 4Runner is clean for once! It didn't stay that way for long.

Making a run to the recyclers. Buying a house, moving, and getting married all in the same month resulted in a lot of cardboard.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Last edited by slomatt; 01-06-2015 at 10:07 PM.
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

When I installed the winch I hardwired it directly to the battery and then carefully routed the wires to prevent shorts. My concern has always been that the truck lives a fairly tough life and there was a chance of the positive cable coming loose and something cutting through the insulation, which could lead to a fire. The problem is that under load the M8000 can draw 400+ amps, which would require a large fuse or circuit breaker.

Recently DelCity started carrying "Mega fuses" for a reasonable price, so I figured I'd install one on the winch's +12v lead.
    http://www.delcity.net/store/MEGA-Fuses/p_800374

First off I added a larger delrin plate to the battery tie down and mounted the fuse holder to the plate.

Then I made a jumper to go from the positive terminal of the battery to the fuse holder. The short length of the jumper minimizes the amount of unfused cable. The 2 awg terminals were soldered on using a solder slug and a torch.

I had to shorten the +12v lead for the winch while it was attached to the car. There was no safe way to get a torch in there to melt the solder, so instead I made a poor-mans crimping die using a nail and a vise. The nail puts a crease into the terminal which holds the wire in place. Afterwards it was covered with high-quality adhesive heat shrink so it shouldn't be going anywhere.

The +12v lead for the fuse now runs next to the factory starter wires. It is covered in rubber hose to protect from chafing.

Here's the fuse holder and fuse installed on the battery.

And a final picture with the protective cover in place. At this point the only unfused wire is the one going to the starter.

- Matt

My TRD collection, though both might be going up for sale soon so I can get a newer T4R.

Nice collection Matt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12