Thread: mac mini media pc arrived!

mac mini media pc arrived!

I picked up a used mac mini 1.83ghz core2duo with 2 gigs of ram to use as a tv-pc / media center.

It finally arrived today

I hooked it up last night... sorry about the bad pic and mess (I made a mess hooking it up... next move is putting it in the tv stand)

[img width=800 height=600]http://i28.tinypic.com/nz0kkm.jpg[/img]

Sooooo sweet. I watched a bunch of random stuff on hulu and the first 30 minutes of full metal jacket on netflix.com

I got a bluetooth mouse and keyboard so I can sit anywhere I want

Highly recommend this set up!
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Re: mac mini media pc arrived!

I'm doing the same thing with my laptop and a 46" Samsung LCD. Pretty sweet
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

you win on tv size (my samsung is 42") but at least my computer is an apple
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Nice! My boss at my old job had a Mac Mini hooked up to his 46" NEC TV. Very nice!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

so far so good with the mini

i of course wish the video card was just a smidge better/faster but it works really well as is. I have been watching a lot of hulu and netflix, and testing it by watching 1080 trailers on apple.com

surfing is good, i need to fix the font sizes... some sites texts are waaay too hard to read
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

very nice! i just built a new media pc. its amazing what they can do these days for very little money.

I am so far behind on technology--do the Minis have an HDMI connection or what do they use to connect to a TV?

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    I am so far behind on technology--do the Minis have an HDMI connection or what do they use to connect to a TV?
    DVI

but you can get a DVI to HDMI cable or just get an adapter for VGA.

I honestly see very little difference in pic quality between the VGA and HDMI somehow... not quite sure why!
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    very nice! i just built a new media pc. its amazing what they can do these days for very little money.
    definitely

as the mini's age, they are going to get cheaper and cheaper too, so lots of opportunities to snag an "older" one for this use for under 300 bucks
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i