Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do it yourself window tint

Do it yourself window tint

Is this film stuff hard to work with? I know you can get it anywhere and in different tints and I want to play with some. I want some for my Hella 500FF's. Hella makes a product called color sheildz.
    I like the idea because it will hide the lights a little more. I don't necessarily want big 'ol white lights out front. The Hella product is a film and is about $20 before shipping. I don't think this stuff is too durable and don't want to waste money on it. I was thinking I could use some window tint stuff and experiment with it. I say experiment because I don't know if it'll be better to put it on the inside of the lens or outside and then there is tint. I don't want something that is dark because it'll block light. Would the bulb heat damage the film? Can't be worse than being on a window in a large car, could it?

Re: Do it yourself window tint

i say go for it, back when i was still in highschool my friend and i tinted a rental car with that stuff. it wasnt the best job in the world but we were 16 or so and didnt care. im sure you can do better than we did.
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

I think I may hit up Kragen on my walk today with the baby. All I'm looking to tint are 2 6" circles. It may sound easy but I've never worked with the film and imagine it like saran wrap which I hate. I cannot use that stuff to save my life.

If you put regular tint on there (depending on the transparency) it might dim your hellas quite a bit.

I actually bought some clear acrylic covers for my hellas ($10 off amazon) I bet it'd be easier to color those..
    2000 V6 TRD 5spd <br />-&gt; Boogyman&#39;s Tacoma

Also Mike, you may want to look into R/C Car window tint, comes in a spray can, and is used to tint the windows on Acrylic R/C car bodies. It starts lighter, and the more you spray the darker it gets.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Regular window tint is thin stuff. I'd think that the stuff they are selling for the Hellas is thicker, like that 3M protective film that can be added to the leading edge of hoods, etc.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I think you're right. The hella stuff is designed to take the heat and light the light shine through. I read up on them and it looks like they go inside the glass which makes sense. I figured that on the outside they wouldn't last long but when it's inside I'm not sure how it protects the lens from scratches like it says.

I'm tellin ya, the acrylic covers are the way to go:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Rallye-4...9408078&sr=8-1

They protect the glass, and you can color them if you want (then remove it later when you don't want the color on)

Edit: I posted the link for the 4000's, but they have them for just about every other model, just search for "hella cover" with your model number.

2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Yea, I'm curious to see how it comes out whatever you go with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast