Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap recovery point

cheap recovery point

I did this several years ago with 2 extra hooks like what came on the front of my 4runner. I bolted the 2 hooks together making sure the bolt holes were aligned. Then I turned the heat all the way up on the MIG and welded then together. Next was opening up the hole farthest from the hook with a 5/8" drill bit. I added some rubber to either side just to keep it from making noise over every bump.

they're nearly the perfect width for a 2" receiver - just a hair wider would be better, so the cross pin is completely in shear instead of a bit of bend, but I've never had any issue with the cross pin anyway

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: cheap recovery point

My question is how did you put that big ol dent in the bumper?!?!
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

It may not be a dent but a spot put in there to access the spare tire winch dropper thingy.

I'm not sure about the hook thing. I'll search but there was a thread on Pirate a couple weeks ago about these hooks and what people do with them and how they fail. I'll try to find it. If it works for you more power to ya. I'd just use the pin and my strap.

Yeah my first thought was the pirate thread, but that one was different and was using it to connect two straps or hooking onto a hole. The fact that these are welded together and then held in with the hitch pin, I don't see a problem with it. Also, you can put the strap around both hooks so it is pulling from the middle just not on one hook, so should work pretty good. At the most, those hooks will bend before anything breaks and that is in an extreme situation. Also, the toyota hooks seem to be stronger than those wimpy jeep ones that you see pics of them bent all the time.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    It may not be a dent but a spot put in there to access the spare tire winch dropper thingy.
    - figured out that I couldn't drop the spare tire after the bumper was already built

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Yeah my first thought was the pirate thread, but that one was different and was using it to connect two straps or hooking onto a hole.
    that is a scary idea. If you look at the stresses induced by pulling on it like that, it guarantees that when it gives it will be a catastrophic failure

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    The fact that these are welded together and then held in with the hitch pin, I don't see a problem with it. Also, you can put the strap around both hooks so it is pulling from the middle just not on one hook, so should work pretty good.
    Exactly, the 2 hooks keep the strap centered so it doesn't pull on the part of the hook where it necks down to thinner material (much less likely to bend)
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

That tow hook in the pirate thread is scary!!

I think Corax's use is a better design then the "daisy chain" hooks on pirate. You'd just want to make sure you're not exceeding twice the hook ratings. They use something very similar on HUGE cranes.

The only difference I see between the real thing and Corax's is the extra material at the bottom between the two hooks. That could be gusseted and the max load would go up significantly.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Hooks like that are a bad thing waiting to happen, coraxs idea is much better and stronger overall.

Some words about TOWING and RECOVERY. They are 2 VERY different things, certain strap, chains and hooks ARE designed for TOWING but NOT FOR Recovery. This is based on a WLL aka working load limit they are rated to. People always say not to use chain, well a chain is actually quite strong and a decent recovery device if its rated 80 grade or better. Not a really good idea but they do work.

However unlike chain nylon straps arent static-they flex WHICH YOU WANT. But not all straps are rated for your loads. IE my strap is rated for 7000lbs WLL, most of the ones people buy are only for 5000lbs-which is NOT GOOD. You can get ones rated for over 10,000lbs.. HOWEVER you dont want to use ones that exceed specs as they will not snap like they are supposed to and what breaks is your rig.

Having recovered a few vehicles in my day I can tell ya the single worst thing people do is not attach the straps to something sturdy. Those tow hooks, on jeeps especially ARE CHEAP CRAP. Ours are 100x better but still. If your gonna pul something out its best to use a solid mounted object on the truck. The frame being one of them or failing that your hook or my fav your hitch. A simple ball and hitch with a strap works WONDERS.

Honestly when I finally get back in the saddle and build me a truck up I am gonna include expensive recovery grade straps that are double ply, shackles, snatch blocks and my favorite-80 grade tow hooks that can mount to axles and frame holes if need be. I atm have a few chain setups with hooks, chain is essential for recovery in many aspects more so than people think. Yes chain can break-CHEAP ARSE junk you buy at home depot thats grade 40, real chain is grade 70 (not for recovery but towing) or 80 or better (80+ is for recovery). HOWEVER chain is only for a steady pull, no yanking-thats what a straps for as it stretches and its not static.

Go to www.awdirect.com to read up on it, they sell and carry tons of towing equipment.

Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

A simple ball and hitch with a strap works WONDERS.
    I would not do this or get anywhere close to this. A ball is not made for recovery and can break. I only had a few minutes to search but there used to be pictures on offroad.com of a ball that broke off during a recovery from sand and went flying. The ball went through the grill and radiator of a full size truck, then through the seat and fit the rear of the cab. It would have gone through but the bed metal stopped it. Those things are missiles and only for towing.

Yeah, x's2 no ball, if anything, remove the hitch and hook the strap to the hitch pin. Trailer balls are only rated for steady pulls, not the kind of force that is used with a snatch strap.
    My signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast