Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Transmission blows AGAIN

Re: Transmission blows AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    fyi i got an 00 limited's trans put in after mine went, and it was fine, fit perfectly (it had multimode).
    X2

I still suggest this would be your best option and I know alot of these imported ones from Japan come up on ebay with relatively low miles (they are usually well under 50k). Most people are after the motors so the trannys often sit on there for months before selling.

You can also use www.car-part.com to locate one from a 99-00 truck at a boneyard near you.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

yup, just a reminder to make sure it's a LIMITED.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Wow.

Cool site. They have quite a few for under $700 with less than 75,000 miles. Not too bad.

Just hope it doesn't give out on the trail in the middle of death valley.

Is there anyway to verify the miles they state on these parts? I don't imagine there is.

________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

not unless you see it in the truck (check the odo) before they pull it out (and you stand there nervously watching the guy who doesnt give a crap take out a very important part for your truck )

some places will have a return policy though...

that is precisely why i opted to pay a bit more and have the shop i always go to be the one to select the transmission for me... this gave me a guarantee. with that guarantee I actually brought it back when the 1st transmission (out of an 02) started making chattering sounds.

they replaced it without a single dime of extra cost for an 00 limited.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    yup, just a reminder to make sure it's a LIMITED.
    Lee, what was the rationale for it being specifically from a Limited?
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Multimode. Not sure if the others will work or not but the limiteds are a definite as far as the computer is concerned.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

I just noticed this thread. I can contribute a little bit of info.

The valve body on the '01-'02 4Runners is just slightly different from the '99-'00 4Runners. A '00 4Runner has a cable that attaches to the throttle body and extends down into the transmission valve body to affect shift pressures. Starting in '01, Toyota changed that cable to an electrical connection for throttle position. So if you swap transmissions between years, you need to account for that signal. (And there could easily be other differences that I'm not aware of). It's certainly possible to get around that hurdle, but will require a little extra effort.

I know this because 4 or 5 years ago when I installed an IPT-modified valve body on my supercharged '00 4Runner, I needed to minimize down time on my daily driver. So I went to the junk yard and bought a used '01 or '02 valve body for what they thought would fit any 3rd gen with an A340F. I had planned to use that during the 2 week period that's typically required to ship my original valve body to IPT, have them modify it, and ship it back. But the valve bodies were different, so that plan was sunk. I still have that '01-'02 valve body sealed in a plastic bag sitting in my garage if anyone's interested.
    2000 4Runner with lots of mods - S/C, locked front and rear, 33&quot; MT/R&#39;s, custom bumpers and skids, etc.<br />God Forgives, Rocks Don&#39;t.

Strange. That didn't come up for my swap. Although considering I didn't buy the trans myself it's not like I can guarantee it was out of an 00
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the marmot
    I just noticed this thread. I can contribute a little bit of info.

The valve body on the '01-'02 4Runners is just slightly different from the '99-'00 4Runners. A '00 4Runner has a cable that attaches to the throttle body and extends down into the transmission valve body to affect shift pressures. Starting in '01, Toyota changed that cable to an electrical connection for throttle position. So if you swap transmissions between years, you need to account for that signal. (And there could easily be other differences that I'm not aware of). It's certainly possible to get around that hurdle, but will require a little extra effort.
    Thanks for that info on the tranny kickdown cable Jeff and good to see you on here!

Not sure which would be easier, converting to mechanical cable or retrofitting the electronic kickdown.
    I'd be curious to know how they got around this on yours Lee.

I wouldve heard about it from the shop that much i know. It's right by my work so I'll try to stop over this week and see if they remember that.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast