Thread: Driving California->Vancouver

Driving California->Vancouver

I know a couple of you guys have done this or much of this drive...

Any recommendations of what to see along the way? I know there's a bunch, and I haven't done much research yet, but that's what I'm starting now.

The plan is to drive from San Francico up the 101 along the California coast, then in southern Oregon pick up the 5 the rest of the way into Vancouver.

I've working on planning a snowboarding trip to Whistler/Vancouver around New Years.

Navigator

Re: Driving California->Vancouver

i wanna go to whistler... but not during the winter ... so much amazing mountain biking up there
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Sounds like a good idea! I've done the 5 from la to vancouver and once you get into the Oregon the scenery changes dramatically
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Sounds like a fun trip. The snowboarding up in Whistler is amazing. I've been twice.

Along the OR coast, there are some amazing sand dunes. I've stopped there and rented sand rails for the day. Of course there is always the Space Needle in Seattle if you haven't been before.

Go to AAA and pick up a couple tour books. They always have points of interest listed in there. That was what I used when I drove the coast from Seattle to So. Cal.

if i were you id take 101 all the way up to washington. the bridge in astoria, OR is amazing and something you must see at least once! if you have the time, take the scenic route the whole way!!!

having driven much of oregon's backroads earlier this summer, i highly recommend staying off the 5 and keeping to the local highways. you see so many amazing things. sure it might take you a bit longer, but its worth it!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Keep in mind the Olympics are there in February, I am not sure if everything is the same as usual this year around New Years.
    I live 3 hrs from Whistler, actually never skied there. I like Manning Park, a lot smaller, but no lineups and no civilization around.
    It doesn't have anything like Whistler Village obviously, and has far fewer runs.
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Yeah, I'm thinking the Olympics will add some excitement (and expense) even in January. I'm planning on two weekdays/one weekend day of riding at Whistler, so hopefully crowds are manageable.

Hmm...the 101 through Oregon and Washington? Possibly up to the Sand Dunes in Oregon yeah, then I think we want to cut over to Portland.

If you decide not drive HWY 101 all the way up the Oregon Coast, take HWY 199 (Redwood Highway) north of Crescent City to Cave Junction and go to the Oregon Caves. It's really a neat spot.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Dune in Oregon are all good.
    Haven't done the 101 all the way up but i think it would be way better than 5 since i have done that countless times. Still don't think i have beaten my personal best of under 10 hrs from here to Bremerton,wa.

What about taking a ferry ride up from Washington to Vancouver. The views are all good and it would be a break from having to drive everything.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops