Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New all-electric car, the Nissan Leaf

New all-electric car, the Nissan Leaf

For quite some time I have wanted an all-electric car. I am sure many of you recall the countless hours I spent building up a Toyota Supra Turbo, then were shocked to see me sell it. I loved the car but I sold it because 99% of the time I went on a long trip it sat at home because I needed to drive the 4Runner. The reasons varied, but I either needed 4WD, the space, the long roof line for carrying kayaks, the towing capability or quite often my long trip revolved completely around adventure travel with the 4Runner. This is why an all-electric car would suit my needs really well--a 100-150 mile range is all I need in a car. I would love to have a nearly maintenance-free electric motor and not have to pay a fuel bill. Nissan will be the first to release a 5-passenger affordable all-electric car in the U.S. and they are working with the US Dept of Energy to help build and finance charging stations on our highways so extended travel is possible. The car is called the Nissan Leaf, it is slated to go on sale next year and the range is around 100 miles. It's not the best looking car but it is far better than the golf carts other manufacturers make and it should go for economy car prices. Plus the government will offer hefty tax rebates if you purchase one. This, or something like it, might be my next car.

Re: New all-electric car, the Nissan Leaf

I'd rather kiss Rosie O'Donnell on the lips than be seen in that thing.

That is the ugliest vehicle I've ever seen.

That's not to give/take credit from the notion of an all electric vehicle, just the styling.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I need all my truck for the reasons that you listed and then some....however, when I was commuting 100 miles a day and the weather was good (spring/summer/fall [4WD not required] ), my 17.5MPG took a large chunk out of my paycheck. Likewise, back when I was living in NYC and commuting 25 miles (which took nearly 1 1/2 hours one way) , I was getting under 8MPG in traffic, which hurt too.

Such a vehicle would've been a great asset provided it was cheap and reliable. Especially so when gas was 4.79!

I could never have an all electric car such as the Leaf as my one and only mode of transport. However, as a second vehicle...it would excellent for going work/grocery shopping/short trips.

PS. I loved that Supra. I have a Cressida sitting in the garage with a 7MGE that's got 178k on it and I'm pondering what to do with it! Great engine! Lucky kid you sold it to!
    &#39;96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

oly would agree with you on the looks of the car but nissan has released something even more disturbing....

The Cube
    http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bHOr1Y...s/040112-1.htm
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

The Cube is already on the road sir gil.
    At least I think they are.
    I saw one driving on the road today actually on my way to school thinking, "no way, someone actually bought it...."
    I also passed by the Nissan Dealership by my dads and could have swore I spied the Cube.

As for the c-note, I haven't heard anything about it...

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    The Cube is already on the road sir gil.
    At least I think they are.
    I saw one driving on the road today actually on my way to school thinking, "no way, someone actually bought it...."
    I also passed by the Nissan Dealership by my dads and could have swore I spied the Cube.

As for the c-note, I haven't heard anything about it...
    I've seen a couple of the cubes this past week. As for the leaf it's great technology and I think great for some people. I do not want another car (unless it's a beater-actually something that is the complete opposite of the leaf) and do not want to get rid of a car. For the most part a leaf (or something like it) would only fit half the bill for a car in my household and most of our trips are in town and do not require 4wd. They're just too small, expensive and unattractive. I guess we're (Americans for that matter) just used to and comfortable with a regular 'ol gasser with storage room and it would take a little more than this to make us change.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    PS. I loved that Supra. I have a Cressida sitting in the garage with a 7MGE that's got 178k on it and I'm pondering what to do with it! Great engine! Lucky kid you sold it to!
    It would be hard to like a car more than I liked that one. I am still in contact with the guy that bought it. Here is a pic he sent me of the car.

Anyways, I have plans to do solar on my house someday and the thought of protecting myself from raising energy costs really appeals to me. The power company where I live is planning to raise electricity costs another 19.8% over the next year and that is after several smaller increases in the past few years. Having the ability to produce my own electricity and isolate myself from $5/gal fuel prices is appealing--you might all wish you had an ugly car just like me!

It would be hard to like a car more than I liked that one. I am still in contact with the guy that bought it. Here is a pic he sent me of the car.

Anyways, I have plans to do solar on my house someday and the thought of protecting myself from raising energy costs really appeals to me. The power company where I live is planning to raise electricity costs another 19.8% over the next year and that is after several smaller increases in the past few years. Having the ability to produce my own electricity and isolate myself from $5/gal fuel prices is appealing--you might all wish you had an ugly car just like me!
    I admire your goals! I have considered solar for our new house. I wish i would have gone ahead and installed it when we were building.
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

Quote Originally Posted by gilby4runner

I admire your goals! I have considered solar for our new house. I wish i would have gone ahead and installed it when we were building.
    I will be getting an $8,000 tax credit early next year for being a first-time home buyer (I close escrow in two days!), so I thought I should spend it on solar before I blow it on something else. There are additional tax credits for going solar, so essentially I would be using my tax credits for more credits and of course creating jobs for people and saving the environment at the same time. Okay, so I'm pushing it a little but you get the idea.

I have this exact roof and there are solar restrictions in my neighborhood, but these will probably fly...solar roof tiles.

I plan to check into it and see what kind of utility savings I can get. The thought of using the sun to charge up my car is fun.

A beat up CRX, old corolla or such would be 10x cheaper and although not as efficient at least no payments or new technology that could go wrong.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast