Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New all-electric car, the Nissan Leaf

Re: New all-electric car, the Nissan Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    A beat up CRX, old corolla or such would be 10x cheaper and although not as efficient at least no payments or new technology that could go wrong.
    Ah come on, what's the fun in that? But to answer your question, a beat up car does not meet any of my needs. Aside from the environmental aspects, it doesn't protect me from rising electrical costs, is not 'almost' free to run and requires maintenance, something I don't want.

Good thing your going solar if you plan on going with the electric car, cause that would be a pretty penny to charge every night.

I would love to have an all electric DD. I've had thoughts about doing an electric car conversion to an IS300 or similar car.

I think the Chevy Volt looks better than the Nissan. I've heard rumors of Toyota building an electric car too.

I like the idea, and building a home that doesn't depend on a grid is pretty awesome too.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    Ah come on, what's the fun in that? But to answer your question, a beat up car does not meet any of my needs. Aside from the environmental aspects, it doesn't protect me from rising electrical costs, is not 'almost' free to run and requires maintenance, something I don't want.
    The reason I like an old car is simply for the fact is something you ca repair yourself and parts are abundant. I see an old car as not having any payments too.

An electric is to untested imho and it being electric I wouldnt even dare want to touch anything related to its engine/control systems myself for fear I would mess it up. Of course it will need to be maintained in some way, nothing lasts forever. If you want 0 environmental impact I think you would be better served riding a bike.

Maybe in 10 years when electric is more established and tested I would think about it, but not now at all.

Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

x2 on the bike. I've put on 330 miles in the past 9 days and driven about 25 commuting for the past 2 weeks. If I were going to buy something I'd get a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    x2 on the bike. I've put on 330 miles in the past 9 days and driven about 25 commuting for the past 2 weeks. If I were going to buy something I'd get a motorcycle.
    x3, I originally was going to buy a 1st gen with the money I get from selling the GTI but I am starting to think motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    I have this exact roof and there are solar restrictions in my neighborhood, but these will probably fly...solar roof tiles.
    Ken, which company sells these particular tiles?
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Quote Originally Posted by cplvc

Ken, which company sells these particular tiles?
    JC, they are made by Lumeta and they are the "solar flat tile" line.
    http://www.lumetasolar.com/

-Ken

I don't think the Leaf looks all that bad. Much better looking than a Hide-Prius or Honda's new Prius look-a-like. The range however does leave a little to be desired.
    Uummmm??? I forget.

Thanks Ken, I have that exact roof tile you posted in your previous post, that's why I was interested. I want to cut down on grid electricity usage. I have Edison's summer savings program which helps a lot.

I agree with Scott the leaf doesn't look all that bad. On Tuesday after I read this on here, ABC or one of those local channels had a special on all-electric cars. They reviewed the Leaf, BMW Mini, chevy volt(??) and a few others including Tesla. Also different programs as far as charging stations or battery exchange stations.

A couple of friends own Tesla's and they're really great, but way out of my league.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast