Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New all-electric car, the Nissan Leaf

Re: New all-electric car, the Nissan Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Good thing your going solar if you plan on going with the electric car, cause that would be a pretty penny to charge every night.
    actually, the cost to recharge is minimal, according to the guys i know here who are piloting electric ford hybrids---at least the ones whose batteries are regenerated during driving. recharging at night, the rates are at their lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter25
    I don't think the Leaf looks all that bad. Much better looking than a Hide-Prius or Honda's new Prius look-a-like. The range however does leave a little to be desired.
    This thread of full of electric car bashing, but I think folks aren't considering that the last generation of electric cars looked like this:

While I certainly wouldn't call the Leaf an attractive car, at least it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like the photo above and it has all the modern safety and luxury features (airbags, air conditioning, etc.) of a modern gas car.

While an electric car may not suit everyone's needs, it suits mine 100%. Statistics have shown that most Americans have sub-40 mile daily commutes that could take advantage of this kind of technology. The home charging stations are designed to start charging the car at night (offpeak) when electricity is only 5 cents/kwh. They say at those rates it would cost 53 cents to charge a car for a 40-mile commute. If you have solar obviously it would cost much less. I am thrilled to death that today's news is filled with talk of the race for the best electric car. For once the US Govt is taking an active role in trying to beat other countries to the punch. Toyota licensed most of the good hybrid technology and now many of today's hybrids have to pay Toyota to use bits and pieces of its technology for every car sold. We don't want to have to do that with our electric cars too. Electric motors are very simple and I feel pretty strongly that this country is capable of building a very reliable electric motor and car. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

I think the Honda Insight was a far uglier vehicle.
    ......but first prize definately goes to the GM EV1.

I don't agree the Nissan Leaf is ugly but it's clearly not a "manly" vehicle either.
    The Chevy Volt has better styling in that department for sure.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

You should do a cost down analysis of going solar for your home. I'd have a hard time believeing you'd ever get the money back you put into it. I did a ton of market/business/economic analysis for a local solar company when I was in grad school and couldn't believe how cost prohibitive it was.
    If you're doing it for financial reasons, you'd probably make 10x your money if you invested it wisely.
    If you're doing it for environmental reasons then I applaud you.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    Quote Originally Posted by gilby4runner

I admire your goals! I have considered solar for our new house. I wish i would have gone ahead and installed it when we were building.

I will be getting an $8,000 tax credit early next year for being a first-time home buyer (I close escrow in two days!), so I thought I should spend it on solar before I blow it on something else. There are additional tax credits for going solar, so essentially I would be using my tax credits for more credits and of course creating jobs for people and saving the environment at the same time. Okay, so I'm pushing it a little but you get the idea.

I have this exact roof and there are solar restrictions in my neighborhood, but these will probably fly...solar roof tiles.

I plan to check into it and see what kind of utility savings I can get. The thought of using the sun to charge up my car is fun.
    When I was researching this stuff about 2 years ago, my company was pioneering these shingle-syle panels. I don't mean to be a debbie-downer but back then they were insanely inefficient, but I plead ignorance to weather or not they are any better now. I also lived in New England at the time. Now that I live in Dallas, where it's MUCH sunnier, this has piqued my interest, albeit on a smaller scale.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123