Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 MV50's = OBA ?

2 MV50's = OBA ?

Ok so I just picked up an MV 50, Havent used it yet but I have used one before (thanks for letting me borrow yours all the time troy )

Anyway, So I know Jason (leeteest) had 2 hooked up to a 10 gallon or something air tank, But I dont feel like doing all that.

So I got to thinking, Would it be possible and worthwhile, to basically stick a tee fitting on 2 of them and hook a single hose up to get 2X the power..?

Im not good with hose fitting like this, so if you have a good website to link me too for fittings then that would be kool.
    Or if home depot stuff would work I could hit that up.

So, long story short. 2 MV50's hooked together to get 2X power.. Possible and worthwhile ?

Thanks guys..
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Re: 2 MV50's = OBA ?

i thik you gotta add some one way valves and other junk Jason will know about.

You would need a bit more than just a T. One way valves would be good but then you need more fittings and you're spending more. What do you want OBA for? Most want it for everything but only have a system capable of only really doing tires. If you want to run tools you'll need a tank of at least 5 gallons and if you want to run the tools well you'll need at least 9 gallons. I had 9 gallons and could spin a 1/2 impact with no problem. Cutoff wheels would work but not for more than a couple of minutes. This was all with a York putting out as much air as my home compressor.

Two MV-50's will pull some juice so think about wiring them up correctly and having a place to put them. In the long run it'll pay off doing it right and keeping the cutting, splicing and slapping together down is key.

If I were you I'd get or make a CO2 system. You can spend hundreds or find some of the deals on line. There are a few companies that have good systems for $150. Honestly $150 put into an MV50 system is not as well spent. You've got a pick up so you have room to mount it and with the reserves you can run an impact and lots of other stuff. Sure you have to refill it but I think that really the cost isn't much once you figure how long you're gas will last with you're use and how convenient it is to have that much air all the time and not have to worry about a small and slow pump filling a tank.

I forgot who it was on here (guy that moved to somewhere where it snows and has an HOA. Small garage, lots of cool welding stuff and plasma guy) but he made a simple system for cheap. Whats craigslist and read up on what people have done and what they use it for.

I have a few of those MV 50's or whatever they call them before the name change. At best all they can do is fill up tires. They dont produce enough CFM (cubic feet per minute)to power anything.

FWIW for work we have compressors in the truck. They are like 1.5hp, 12V and have a 4 gallon tank and even they will at best run an impact gun for a short time. You simply need a real OBA system. Either a good one you can buy or if you could make it work, another viable choice would an air brake compressor. They are usually pretty hefty and put out alot of CFM-no idea if they would work on a 12V electric tho.

So that leaves you here:

Two words: york compressor.

Will do whatever you want it to do, hook it to a 10 gallon slimline tank and bingo. All ya need is to find a lincoln, caddy, etc with air ride, make a bracket and hook a longer belt on. Then you can have it feed a slimline 10 gal tank and you could even wire in a hand throttle to make it crank out more juice when under load.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I've got two caddy compressors simply Tee'd together into one line. Most of the time I use them to fill tires and my float tubes. 32" tires get filled from 10-32 psi in 5 minutes.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    I've got two caddy compressors simply Tee'd together into one line. Most of the time I use them to fill tires and my float tubes. 32" tires get filled from 10-32 psi in 5 minutes.
    I had the exact same set up on my 87'. Worked great!

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

2 Caddy compressors as in the air ride things that CJM was talking about ..?

And for a 32, 10-32 in 5 mins, Im almost positive it didnt take me that long to do the same the other day with troys MV50..

And for the record, I dont want to run air tool, Dont have money for them and dont really need them.

I just want to fill tires a tad quicker..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Two words: york compressor
    You'll need a tank though. Scuba has a PU though so he's got room if he wants to go that route. I think CO2 is the way to go. I only have a small tank with my York on my 4runner and it can barely do lug nuts. I have a little 4 gallon tank I can couple with it and it does better. I had a hand throttle on my pickup and may put one on the 4runner to kick it up a notch.

-------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    2 Caddy compressors as in the air ride things that CJM was talking about ..?
    1 compressor, its mounted kinda like an alternator is on the engine block and is run by a belt. Kick up the throttle and it feeds more speed to it and thus more power. They have kits for them, i seen before and making the bracket is pretty easy.

And for the record, I dont want to run air tool, Dont have money for them and dont really need them.

I just want to fill tires a tad quicker..

Then hard mount the MV 50 and tap it for a regular fitting and possibly small tank and bingo.

Or you could get this thing: http://www.awdirect.com/12-volt-dc-a.../portable-air/ Have them in our work trucks and it will fill a tire from flat to 50psi in about a minute or less. I can run a 1/2 impact gun to take off lugnuts but not much else. HOWEVER its $$$ and big. Now if you could find a similar compressor head, mount it and run it to a large tank you would be good.

ETA: heres what i mean by york compressor. (yes I know its on a heep) http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html Pirate also has a VERY good article on mounting it up to a 22re and 5vz. Heres even a tank idea http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=257805

9CFM, 9 FREAKING CFM is very high output. A stinking 60 gallon decent compressor doesnt even put out that much in alot of cases. Yea the whole thing isnt exactly an easy install, but it will run air tools (gets handy when you gotta chisel, grind, cut, etc something off or need an impact gun) and it will air your tires up REALLY fast. Just some fab work and a small air tank would suffice. Total cost would probably be no more than 250 bucks. Figure 1 MV50 costs you about 50, and for another 200 you get simply the best setup around next to the ultra portable powertank. When I finally save up enough and get another truck/4runner this is what im doing and atm YotaFun and I have been discussing setting his 4Runner up with this idea for months.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast