Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downey Off Road out of business

Downey Off Road out of business

Downey has closed up shop.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-se...-off-road.html

Downey Off Road Mfg. ceased operation on July 31, 2009.

There are ongoing negotiations with six different well known companies who are interested in continuing major portions of the Downey product line. You will no doubt find Downey products at one or more of those companies in the near future. We thank your for being a part of our 39 year history.

Jim Sickles, President

Downey Off Road Mfg.
    "We had to close the doors for three reasons:
    (a) Internet competition from smaller dot.com companies who have very little, if any overhead.
    (b) Internet forums that reveal all the other sources of supply (consumers now better connected).
    (c) Recession!!!!"
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Downey Off Road out of business

wow that's disappointing news.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

They would have done better if they would had changed with the times but yeah it sucks to see another company shut the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Tool Pimp
    They would have done better if they would had changed with the times but yeah it sucks to see another company shut the doors.
    yup i ordered once by phone since there was no online ordering. stuff didnt show and i called them to find out its on back order. 2.5 monthes later i canceled the order. they did it to themselves unfortunatly

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Tool Pimp
    yup i ordered once by phone since there was no online ordering. stuff didnt show and i called them to find out its on back order. 2.5 monthes later i canceled the order. they did it to themselves unfortunatly
    I could agree with that, that had some neat ideas (slip yoke IFS half shafts, etc) but any company that doesn't make it uber easy to order their products is gonna lose some business. Still a shame . . . I wonder if NWOR is next?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Great off-road innovation 35 yearas ago but they refused to continue to innovate.

No online ordering was their downfall.

Yep, no online ordering and lack of any real neat new ideas is what shut them down.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Navigator

i did like that there long travel used the Porsche axles that had more flexy cv joints, but otherwise i cant say i saw much from them.. oh well, corporate darwinism at work... :-P
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
    Great off-road innovation 35 yearas ago but they refused to continue to innovate.

No online ordering was their downfall.

That about sums it up. The only time I bought anything from them was when I couldn't get something similar online.

They didn't change with the times - the business model of the 1980's is hardly valid these days.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

and now the web site doesn't even come up . . . . figures that they would close one week before I start looking for an e-locker cable conversion.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast