Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap tie downs for 1st gen 4runner

cheap tie downs for 1st gen 4runner

I made these years ago, so no step-by-step pics (if you can't figure it out, you probably shouldn't be playing with a welder ) Originally I had planned to run a cargo net between the 2 points on each side and wrap it around the top to help stop anything in the back from flying forward in an accident, just never got around to it

Materials:
    1.5" chain (link size, duh )
    1" long, 7/16" diameter, fine thread bolt

cut a link off your length of chain, weld it to the bolt head

I welded it with the cut side towards the bolt . . . you know, so the link doesn't bend and open up again. The tie-downs are threaded into the same hole that the Canadians used for the rear seat belt shoulder straps, so I don't think attachment strength sohould be an issue. BTW, the 1.5" chain links are the perfect size for nylon tie strap hooks - use whatever size you want.

oh yeah,
    ** WARNING: DO NOT USE THESE FOR VEHICLE RECOVERY OR EXTRICATION**
    can't be too safe with disclaimers these days, if you do try though, make sure to take video
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: cheap tie downs for 1st gen 4runner

FWIW i made something similar for tie downs in my pick up bed with some large eye bolts.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

7/16-20 on the bolts

Shoot, I think im just gonna tack a link or 4 to my tool box..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    Shoot, I think im just gonna tack a link or 4 to my tool box..

Watch out, aluminum bends easy man.. I used washers with my eye hooks that are like 2 inches diameter to spread the load over a larger area. Also my toolbox is TOTALLY bolted to the stake holes using large J hooks.

Yeah I got to thinking, Maybe weld a link to a few bolts and run those through the with some washers..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    I used washers with my eye hooks that are like 2 inches diameter to spread the load over a larger area.
    Mine double as body bolts (look in the corners)
    [img width=800 height=598]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/tonytoolpimp/bee/P1010010.jpg[/img]

Nice.

I wish my bed was similar but I dont know whats truly under it due to the bedliner. I put mine in the edges and put huge washers on them-they held strong when I really yanked on them with some ratchet straps so im happy.

Got a chance to tinker with the rig today, Didnt do the whole chain thing, I found these eye bolts that were perfect.
    There's one on the other side of the toolbox too.

I guess this thread is going to turn into a "show off your custom tie down" thread..

Same as mine scuba Washer really helps distribute the load imho, just make sure your box is bolted down really good otherwise all that work for nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast