Thread: WTB: Rancho IFS Lift Kit or comparable

WTB: Rancho IFS Lift Kit or comparable

I'm looking for a used lift for the front of my 1990 4wd 4runner. I need about 3-4 inches of lift to take the pressure off of the torsion bars.

I was thinking probably the rancho ifs lift that is discontinued, but I'd take anything that is comparable.

And I'm doing this on a budget, so I need something cheap. I've seen the rancho lifts go for around $200-$300.

Even if you don't have a lift you want to sell, I'd love some advice or a point in the right direction.
    1990 v6 4runner
    Engine: Chevy 4.3 Vortec/Edelbrock Performer Intake & Carburetor
    Front: Trail Gear 3in. Lift Leafs / Bilstein Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Rear: Chevy 63in. Leafs / 3in. blocks / OME Shocks / ARB Air Locker
    Tires: 35 x 12.50 x 15

Re: WTB: Rancho IFS Lift Kit or comparable

I doubt you're going to find a new (or used) bracket lift-kit for that price range (and besides, bracket lifts are useless IMO).

What you need from the sounds of it are longer shocks (are yours stock length right now?), ball joint spacers up front, low-profile bump stops up front, and a 1" body lift. That will allow you to relax the torsion bars some while retaining a 2.5-3" over-stock ride height, and gain a lot in articulation. In the future, instead of more lift you should consider a rear locker (auto or selectable will depend on your budget), which has a HUGE impact on off-road ability.

You can look at my old 4Runner's setup, it worked very well IMO:
    Mastacox's 1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Found a 4" Procomp lift for $150.

Have to see how much shipping from San Fransisco is.

Anyone have an opinion on this lift?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    1990 v6 4runner

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    I doubt you're going to find a new (or used) bracket lift-kit for that price range (and besides, bracket lifts are useless IMO).

What you need from the sounds of it are longer shocks (are yours stock length right now?), ball joint spacers up front, low-profile bump stops up front, and a 1" body lift. That will allow you to relax the torsion bars some while retaining a 2.5-3" over-stock ride height, and gain a lot in articulation. In the future, instead of more lift you should consider a rear locker (auto or selectable will depend on your budget), which has a HUGE impact on off-road ability.

You can look at my old 4Runner's setup, it worked very well IMO:
    Mastacox's 1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    I have ball joint spacers with the same length shocks that I had without them. I'm not sure what length they are. I think they are rancho rs5187, but I'm not sure.

I didn't change any of the bumpstops and I have the torsion bars maxed.

I'd love to have a rear locker, just don't have the money. And right now, I'm just wanting a softer ride.

Why don't you like bracket lifts?
    1990 v6 4runner

you should have longer shocks with your bjspacers to take advantage of the extra travel.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    Why don't you like bracket lifts?
    A bracket lift only really lifts your center of gravity, it doesn't increase you ground clearance, articulation, or general off-road performance (except for allowing for larger tires). To each his own, but bracket lifts are a poor choice IMO.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.