Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tacoma Spare Tire Carrier Build

Tacoma Spare Tire Carrier Build

After 33's and a bed bob, I need a better way to store the spare than ratchet straps in the bed..

Materials im using :

2x2x3/16ths angle iron
    2x2x.095 Square tube
    3/16ths remnant plate
    3; 12x1.5 wheel studs; Set of locks to fit those studs.

Here's my best paint rendition of what im shooting for..

Here's where im at now..

Bedside supports rounded off

Thats where im at now.
    Hoping to have it done tomorrow afternoon for paint and mount it up before the John Bull run this sunday..
    I wont cry if its not done by then but I deff want to give it a test run..

P.S. Anyone noticed I've been around more..? I quit posting on the evil forum, if you were wondering..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Re: Tacoma Spare Tire Carrier Build

Why not run the tire up under the bed kinda like how Marlin did his

Don't know what tour talking about, searched the marlin board and didn't find anything. Got any links..?

I'm already balls deep into this so this is how it's gonna be done, but I'm curious what your talking about

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

just a suggestion - spread the bars out a bit front to back. Since it looks like you already welded them, maybe put some short diagonals in. When you start hitting rough stuff the tire is gonna want to start bouncing/wobbling front to rear which could bend up/crack the bedsides eventually - if that doesn't much matter to you, then disregard.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Something to that effect was brought up on another forum, What im going to do is have a piece of angle iron ~~6" longer then the supports that are welded, under the bedrails.

If I find my design needs to be reworked after that I will cut my losses..

Update

Letting the angle grinder cool down and grabbing a bite to eat..

Here's a couple pics

First, I decided to offset the tire to counter taco lean..

Mock up

Second.. I basically ran out of enough 2x2 to use it as ladder supports, So I'm using the angle iron for that now..

Im hoping to have it mainly finnished by tonight for a test run tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    Don't know what tour talking about, searched the marlin board and didn't find anything. Got any links..?
    I'm already balls deep into this so this is how it's gonna be done, but I'm curious what your talking about
    He has a full size 37 (I think) mounted under his bed. I try yo find some picts..

Look good BTW

I know you put it on that side to counter some of the "lean" you have, but it just killed your rear view. Offset to the driverside would be better for your rear view. You might have already thought osf that, but I thought I'd say it just in case.

I think the angle iron like you have it will work great as ladder supports.

One way to combat the forward to rear rocking you may get, is to basically make the angle iron mounts you have about 2.5 x's longer. This will spread the force out over a larger area along the top of your bedrail. You could also then weld some loops along it for convenient tie downs. Keep up the good work.
    My signature

Chris, thanks for the input, 2.5X would be..alot.. lol, its pretty close to my toolbox so I would have to go under it...Waiting to see how this holds up..

Update.
    Im tired, im exhausted, im dehydrated, but its done and mounted. (Except for paint)
    My paint can died on me half way through spraying, didnt run out, just refused to spray..

Here's the pics.

After cutting this out with cutoff wheels on an angle grinder, it really makes me want a torch

Rockin the 3 on 5.5

All welded up, Obviously still rockin the flux core.. My welds are getting slightly better..And I did try to get my brush in there, didnt work too well..

The taco lean is very much less existent..

go get yourself a softer bristle wire brush, so you can really get in there.

looks good.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast