Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4WD light not turning on

Re: 4WD light not turning on

Ok, on the driveway with the shifter in 4hi the driveshaft doesn't move (engaged). When if shift into 2hi and go forward and back a few feet it disengages and the driveshaft will move when I turn it by hand. I'm Mr. Mom tonight so it'll be after 8 before I can jack up the front.

Mr. Mom jacked up the front of the 4runner and found this:

When in 4hi, transmission in N and parking brake on the driveshaft does not spin by turning it with my hand. When I turn on wheel/tire the wheel/tire on the other side spins in the opposite direction. This is the case with both front wheels.

After I tried this I climbed in and put the transfer case in 2hi. I turned the driver side wheel and only it spun. Same with the passenger side tire. I climbed under and the driveshaft would spin freely in both directions by hand.

As far as I know it's all working and I may have a blown bulb. The 4wd fuse looks good so it looks like I'll be fine for Pismo.

Thanks for the advice.

Not sure if its the same on yours, on my 90 i had a wire connected to the the ADD shifter fork that would basically light the light after it shifted the ADD sleeve.

When i forgot to put all that back in and accidently welded the ADD sleeve in place, to get my light to work i had to jumper the connector. Yours is probably the lamp like you said, but to make sure peek under the skid plate to see if that wire is plugged in. 5 min versus 1hr.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

I have a 91 4runner and when it's in 2hi I can't turn the front driveshaft by hand. I used a pry bar to gently turn the front shaft and the whole truck moved. I don't think it is shifting out of 4hi. Anyone else have this problem? Does that year have vacuum lines that I should check? I just got this vehicle and want it working in time for pismo.

Navigator

in 2 hi the drive shaft should turn by hand on the 91's... and yes there are vacuum hoses... do you have the v6 or the 4cyl? if you have the v6 (3vz-e) its got a WHOLE MESS of vacuum hoses... i wouldnt even know where to start...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

It's a four cyl. Not a big fan of the v-6. I'll crawl under tonight and see what I find. I might put all four tires in the air and spin the rears while watching the front driveshaft.

So I look at the vacuum lines on the axle disconnect on the front only to find that they have been gone for awhile. I put the 4runner up off all four tires and still can't move the front driveshaft without the front wheels moving. I am hoping that this means the ADD is stuck in 4WD mode and I shouldn't worry about it. I put it in 2WD and only the rear shafts when in gear so I guess it's all good. Right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12