Thread: Marlin Crawler's going "Lefty"

Marlin Crawler's going "Lefty"

For all those that have been thinking about going to a geared case in their vehicles, Marlin's officially carrying a Lefty setup, with some beefing-up done inhouse!

Marlin Crawler is proud to offer the venerable Lefty, a left hand drop geared transfer case for your Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, or Tundra.

Background

The Lefty replaces your trucks chain drive transfer case with the ever successful gear drive transfer case from the Toyota Hilux. The Hilux gear drive transfer case has been around since 1979 and became the essential Rock Crawling transfer case in 1994 when Marlin Crawler created their dual case adapter and changed the face of off-roading forever. Since then, a vast aftermarket has been developed for this gear drive transfer case including a stronger and lower low range gear (51% lower), dual case adapters (double low range), conversion adapters (transmission application versatility), shifter reconfigurations, a heavy duty output shaft, conversion flanges (drive line application versatility), speedometer cable conversions (mechanical or electronic), heavy duty seals, heavy duty crossmembers, a heavy duty crossmember mount, etcetera. Even a prototype front drive line disconnect has been demonstrated by Marlin Crawler, however it is not available at this time.

Nearly everything imaginably under the sun has been developed for the gear drive transfer case. The only lacking element is the placement of the front drive line. The Hilux pickups used a passenger's side front drive line, so naturally the gear drive transfer case's front output is located on its right hand side. But when Toyota introduced the Tacoma in 1995, they relocated the front drive line to the driver's side of the vehicle. This required a redesigned transfer case, which Toyota developed using a planetary reduction low range unit and a chain driven front output, affectionately known as the chain drive transfer case.

So... What's the problem?

The problem with the chain drive transfer case is with its planetary reduction low range unit. In brief, due to the limited space within the transfer case, a planetary reduction unit, when re-geared to a lower gear ratio, decreases in strength at a rate far greater than that of a gear-to-gear (geared-type) low range unit. For example, a 50% lower gear-to-gear reduction will be far stronger than a 50% lower planetary reduction (assuming shaft centerlines remain equal).

This limiting factor of the chain drive transfer case has all but prevented the aftermarket following we see with the gear drive transfer case. And sadly, every Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, and Tundra built uses this same chain drive transfer case. This has greatly limited the off-road Rock Crawling capability of these newer trucks. The gear drive transfer case is deeply desired for its amazing capabilities, but its right hand front output prevents it from being used without serious modifications to your truck. That is, until now.

Enter the Inchworm Lefty. The Lefty takes the successful right hand front output gear drive transfer case and converts it to a left hand front output. Now, by interchanging your chain drive transfer case with the Lefty gear drive transfer case, the vast gear drive transfer case aftermarket becomes available to your Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, or Tundra. From Heavy Duty double roller billet adapter dual case setups, to Total-Spline Xtreme Duty 4.70:1 low range gear sets, the sky is the limit for your Toyota.

Marlin Crawler, your complete Tacoma/FJ Cruiser/Tundra Rock Crawl Service Center

Please bare with us as we reorganize our transfer case section here at MarlinCrawler.com to incorporate a full product line of Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, and Tundra single, dual, or triple transfer case systems to fit your Rock Crawling needs.

Marlin Crawler is now a full Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, and Tundra Rock Crawling drivetrain service shop. Until we get our website completely updated with our new product lines, please contact us at (559) 25-CRAWL (559-252-7295) for kit and full installation services for your 1995+ Toyota 4WD truck.

All complete Lefty transfer cases will be fully built and assembled by our professional team of Toyota transfer case experts. Only genuine Toyota bolts, gaskets, bearings, and seals will be used here at Marlin Crawler, the same way we've been doing it since 1994. Full installations now available, automatic or manual transmission, 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder, or 8-cylinder applications available. Please call for details.

Re: Marlin Crawler's going "Lefty"

Sweet find, I wonder how the price will compare to inchworm.
    1999 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4 E-Locker: DR Coilovers ~ Camburg UCA's ~ OME 890+10mm ~ Icon Rear 2.5 Resi's ~ 235/85/16 Hankook Dynapro MT's ~ LC Rims

Quote Originally Posted by CYi5
    It is an inchworm . . . .
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I need to get me some money.... Lol
    this is sweet!

Yeah, I saw that on their website a week or so ago. I'm surprised they are selling inchworm stuff now.

Cool looking setup though.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Aint gonna be cheap, thats for sure.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Stinkin' lefties...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    Aw well where's the competition there??
    1999 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4 E-Locker: DR Coilovers ~ Camburg UCA&#39;s ~ OME 890+10mm ~ Icon Rear 2.5 Resi&#39;s ~ 235/85/16 Hankook Dynapro MT&#39;s ~ LC Rims

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    Aw well where's the competition there??
    they are fixing what Jim hasnt bothered to do, the damn gears. id consider sending mine in just to get it beefed up
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Blake, if you're serious do it asap, I heard they're already getting booked up. Zsasbo might even be ready to pull the trigger once his back-half truggy redo's set.

I think it's a wise decision on both parties. Let's Jim just focus on the production while Marlin's guys do the build-ups.