Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for new CV joints

Time for new CV joints

Both joints exploded, well at least the boots did.

Will these joints the fleabay work?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
    1988 4Runner 3.Slow<br /><br />-33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials<br />-High flow cat/ flowmaster muffler<br />-Engine replaced at 200k<br />-Green Rattle can paint + Herculiner<br /><br />Wanted<br />1st gen parts, door hinges, interior etc...<br /><br /><br />God works through Christians; I am a Christian.<br />-George W. Bush

Re: Time for new CV joints

You can buy a complete reman from autozone or similar for around $80 with your core and they will have a lifetime warranty.

If it's just your boots and you don't want to do the whole reman thing, then just buy the boot kit. More than likely, your actual joints are just fine.
    My signature

Autozone are worth it, or the ones from advanced.. RUN AWAY from pepboys or fleabay.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I figured as much.

I get a really bad, bad shake if I lock the hubs and drive.
    1988 4Runner 3.Slow<br /><br />-33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials<br />-High flow cat/ flowmaster muffler<br />-Engine replaced at 200k<br />-Green Rattle can paint + Herculiner<br /><br />Wanted<br />1st gen parts, door hinges, interior etc...<br /><br /><br />God works through Christians; I am a Christian.<br />-George W. Bush

Well could be a bent front driveshaft as well, I would start at the CV's tho.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Check your short shafts as well, if you feel any vibration or hear any clanking you will need to replace both sides.
    It is actually easier to replace the boots and the shafts all at the same time rather than replacing the boots only!

FYI: i just replaced my half shafts with torn boots with a *new* complete 1/2 shaft from autozone for $138 total (California)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    FYI: i just replaced my half shafts with torn boots with a *new* complete 1/2 shaft from autozone for $138 total (California)
    Bob, do you know if there is a huge difference in quality between factory and autozone/napa type cv's? I'm wondering if there is much difference right off the bat by just looking at them. Boot quality, smoothness, etc? I'd think factory would be the way to go but it can be very expensive.

Mike,

Damn, i wish i wouldve taken a side by side pic. The only noticeable thing that seemed to be missing on the Autozone one was this cup shaped metal piece (not very tall in height) that the stock one had. Since i bought new, i still have the old one which i will rebuild when i find the time to do so.

Interesting. An old one that isn't thrashed makes for a great trail spare once rebuilt. I never got around to fixing the ones on my old truck. My current ones look good but I was wondering about options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast