Thread: Wikid

Wikid

Wikid
    I will provide each part of my build
    This is the summary
    07 FJ Cruiser Sun Fusion yellow
    R Locker
    A-trac
    Premium sound and all the other stuff it gets from the factory.

* Overland Warehouse LLC
    * Total Visions Products
    * Baja Camera System
    * Custom four monitor overhead console, with a center section for switching, cb, and keypads
    * Two digital keypads controlled by ecu’s to choose four views from eight different camera locations.
    * Quad channel DVR with 120 gig HD, GPS tracking and motion sensing for on.
    * Custom headliner with sound deadening and insulation
    * Allan Phillips Racing X-1 engine management system
    * AFE Pro Guard CAI
    * Magnaflow with custom hightuck 3” tailpipe
    * Camping Labs Roof top tent
    * BajaRack expedition syle rack
    * Lowrance Baja540C Off-road Navigation
    * Engel refrigerator custom mounted where the drivers side rear seat was
    * National Luna dual battery controller custom mount
    * Sears Platinum marine battery custom mounted over the passenger rear fenderwell (where the subwoofer would be)
    * (2)Blue Sea eight circuit fuse panels
    * Lightforce 170 strikers
    * PIAA 520 lithium ions
    * Onzium LED interiors
    * Dashboard lightbulb
    * Inchworm E-locker guard
    * Scubadriver mod
    * Bodymount chop
    * Cobra CB, Wilson 1000 antenna
    * Custom Gear box with tailgate
    * Body color matched door handles mirror bases and blacked out mirrors
    * Old school white bezel
    * Hood scoop mod
    * Recovery gear and tools
    * 4.56 Nitro Gears
    * Go Pro HD Motorsports

Planned Mods:

* Sliders
    * T-case

Sponsors

Overland Warehouse http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/StoreFront.bok
    Total Vision ProductsTotal Vision Products: The new standard in mobile vision products
    Allan Phillips Racing APR Power - ECU
    Camping Labs http://campinglab.com/
    Baja Rack:: Baja Rack ::
    Ricochet Skids http://www.utahsportcycle.com/
    East Coast Gear Supply http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/
    Go Pro http://www.goprocamera.com/

AZFJ Founding Memberwww.wikidfj.com&nbsp; under construction<br />http://wikidfj.blogspot.com/<br />Member build page<br />http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...other-gal.html

Re: Wikid

This is where it all began..

12/27/06 she came home

Bud Built Skids including crossmember Sun Fusion Yellow

Color matched door handles and mirror bases. Mirrors and bumpers black, bezel color matched white with yellow letters

Road Armour bull bar, Lil Will CB, cobra wst75, Fourtreks hi-lift/axe mount

Bulldog 9500 with wireless remote

Raffle swag Inchworm E-locker Guard

PIAA 510 fogs, PIAA 520's on the bar
    No.1 Mod Dashboard lightbulb custom installed with 2 face tape.
    Only the fearless will follow if that is glowing

Body mount chop done with 8ball

Exhale
    Magnaflow, custom 3" bent for high clearance

[BWIKID[/B]
    Hankook 285/70R/17

Metal-Tech rear tube bumper installed today

TrueFlow XDi extreme duty intake

Hood scoop Mod. Expanded metal, drilled opening for air flow

One note about this mod. I was playing in some serious mud and snow this weekend in Flagstaff without any increased mess in her engine compartment . With the combination of the intake/exhaust and hood mod, My gears weren't hunting as much going to flagstaff as in previous trips.

I decided to remove the control box on WIKID'S bumper and send it to the engine compartment. Longer cables made it possible to mount in under the XD-I intake with easy access to the plug in for the wired remote. Hopefully I won't need that since I installed the wireless controller inside the control box. Everything should stay more dry now.

I like the cleaner look under the bull bar now. I didn't like the large gap inside the bumper. It looked unfinished

I decided to go get some steel and fab something up to fill the hole. I went to the steel place and looks through the scraps. I found some 3/4" angle and some plate steel with holes in it, brought it home. 9 bucks is what it cost. I used the dimensions from the cut out and started fabbing,
    This is what I ended up with

Here it is fit in place . I used Magnetic strips along the front to keep it in place so I still have access to the winch control bar. I almost didnt need anything since the angle fit it nicely, but I decided to use the magnets for a clean appearance

AZFJ Founding Memberwww.wikidfj.com&nbsp; under construction<br />http://wikidfj.blogspot.com/<br />Member build page<br />http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...other-gal.html

WIKD has travel assistance now
    Lowrance Baja 540c mounted in the Shadow Warrior location with a small twist
    I liked the location, but thought it was too far to reach, with my short arms so I moved it back along with adding a fish finder swivel. The mount is 18 guage steel gussetted in 3 locations. the base of the swivel is custom made to use the triangle mount provided, then bolted on. I have tested in on local roads and highways. I think it will be fine on the trails too.
    I did the headliner pull of use from either the passenger or the driver. It has no affect on my vision

New Engel frig mount

I decided to mount my frig in an alternate location. I rarely have passengers and even more rarely have more than one passenger. I decided to remove the drivers side rear seat and make a frig mount, where the seat was. I used the exsisting seat mounts, so I wouldn't need to drill more holes in my truck. It sits nicely one the mount and is secures with tie down straps. The front seat will move all the way back ( for those of you with long legs). The refrigerator door opens all the way, without contacting the ceiling. It is very secure and allows me to have the entire back for tools trail stuff and other storage. This was part one in my quest to organize the truck for longer trips
    Here are some pictures
    The seat base is contoured, so I made up the contour with 2 more 5/8 thick plywood pieces that level out the area.

I reinforced the front for a more solid strapping point

I added some carpet that I attached with 3M 77 adhesive and staples for the edges

Final result is a very sturdy, easy to access refrigerator. I tested pulling the basket , opening the door and removal of the refrigerator . It would be about a 30 minute change over to reinstall the seat.

The frig mount does not interfere with the other seat at all, so it could be opened or closed with no issue

The most difficult part of this mod was trying to mark the holes in the exsisting seat mount. It was a funny angle and had to try a few different methods of figuring out the hole locations. Once that was done, it went fairly well .

Rear dual battery set-up
    Here is the result of my dual battery system
    Behind the bottom section is a power inverter and the dual batter selenoid + controller. the box above has the optima red top battery and of course all the wiring necessary for smooth operation
    I will go through the steps

Wiring
    I bought a rear winch cable kit for a bulldog winch which included 24 ' of Red and Black 2 guage cable, a quick disconnect and some wire ties
    about 100 bucks total ( Wire aint cheap anymore)
    I ran both cable from the front battery along the firewall throiugh the passenger side grommet.

I pulled the lower kick panel and all the door jamb trim and carefully ran all the wires through to the back trim by the rear door. Pulled the body trim away and ran the wires through to the back fenderwell

The Box
    I made a mount in the location of the sub woofer and built it up to the level I needed to be above the trim

The next part of the puzzle is the faceplate for the bottom section which will be removeable when servicing is needed

Fiitting the important parts is next. I wanted to make sure they had breathing room Selenoid, power inverter costco special 1000 watt Zantrex
    69 bucks and change
    National Luna Dual battery 245.00 with remote control for dash

Fitting the lower faceplate

I bought some angle at Lowes 9 bucks Cut it up and welded it together for the battery box

Test fit it Ohh yeah the Sun Fusion color was my own choice

I do have a few extra wires I didnt mention 1 8 guage coming from the front battery for future reference and the remote controller which goes to the dash for the dual battery controller

Fabbing the top of the box

I have used 5.5 inches past the fenderwell. the box is tight and secure. It will also house my own version of a quick disconnect battery jumping system along with a blue sea 12 curcuit fuse panel .
    I have complete control of my electrical system without compromising space. I will be adding a storage compartment for the rest of my rear area that will keep everything safe and free of lauching.
    Once again Here is the complete (for now) version

I added a tailgate to my storage box that will serve as a table as well
    Its made of 1" square tube skinned with 18 guage steel on both sides
    As you can see some of the steel in missing from one side . I stitch welded the skins on and miter cut the 1 " tube . It actually is very square.
    I used 3/16" cable for the table support. 1 " angle welded back to back for the eye mounts on the box.
    It's painted yellow inside of the table , which is exposed by the plasma cut letters and added led lights inside on either end .
    It was meant for function but added some form to it as well. It's hinged using 4.5 " bearing hinges used for large doors. They are welded to the frame. All in all it's very strong and would support any weight I would put on it. I also needed to modify the battery box so the cables could be mounted correctly
    This is phase one.
    After Ouray I will have an extender to clamp on the table to make it like a dinner table. Trek poles will act as legs to support the extension .
    All of this will be done with lightweight material and store easily inside the storage box area

This side is only primer . It will be painted a semi gloss black

thanks
    Don

I think Wikid loves new shoes
    IvanFJ had some 285/70r/17's Mounted on factory Steelies
    My wheeels were a big problem Although they looked good, they did not feel right. I think I have always had problems with them to one degree or the other. My truck drives like its brand new now

It does take on a different look , but I think I am liking it

I have been thinking about having spotting cameras for a few years now. After some research I contacted Total Vision Products of Tucson AZ. http://www.totalvisionproducts.com/ After lengthy conversations we decided to meet and formulate a plan for the system I wanted. Trust me it evolved from my initial thought.
    After 2 years of thought and about 8 weeks of install. (the weekend warrior way) Here is what we created.
    Rod Developed the system and I did the fabrication and install.
    This was my first thought 2 monitors in my visor after a few attempts I didn't like the whole deal
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/puulboy/DSCN2363.jpg[/img]

Second attempt
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/puulboy/IMG_0002.jpg[/img]

Look Ma , more monitors
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/puulboy/IMG_0011.jpg[/img]

I needed to make everything function correctly, you are seeing my positioning so the visors still work
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/puulboy/IMG_0013-1.jpg[/img]

WIKID has eyes for you... Teaser shot of her new LOOK so to speak.
    Believe it or not I do not have the pictures of my final product before I installed it. I must have been busy.
    I will say its one piece and came out nice after I got all the angles exact.
    Note: I have been asked to recreate this system in another FJ so I will get pictures then

I have a few details to write up as It progress happens.
    While I am doing this project I am adding stuff as I go

Since the headliner is down I am doing a few things to make life easier.
    Wilson 1000 antenna roof mounted. Say good bye to the lil will Mag mount. You won't see cables on the roof now. This antenna is about the best you can get for a CB The really nice feature is that you can unscrew the base of the antenna with you hand and screw a cap on the stub so you don't have to have the antenna up all the time. Its just a little black cap that is left.

I decided to quiet the beast some with a product from Second Skin Audio
    Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction from Second Skin
    The product is called Damplifier Pro. kills, vibration, heat and noise
    It comes in 12"x20" sheets that have paper you peel to adhere to the roof. Its very sticky and I cannot see it coming off even if you begged it.

Next will be another insulation product I glue to the face of the Damplifier Pro
    Its about 1/2 to 5/8th thick called "heat wave" and has great insulation properties
    Second part of insulating

I left it short till I secure the rest of my stuff but it will be finalized after it it all done

Today was the beginning of the camera mount and wiring days. I completed 3 camera installs and ran about 80% of the wire/cables Location, location, location, was the theme of the day.
    The picture below shows 2 of the 3 cameras installed today.
    Camera 1
    Drivers side on the roof Narrow view camera that shows lots of distance but not as much on the sides
    Camera 2
    Passenger side a wide angle but not much distance
    My logic behind where there are mounted is..
    I wanted to be able to easily clean them without having to make some kind of boom to reach the center ( remember I am short) I decided to follow the line of the washer nozzles. With that I also needed to establish an axis for where center would be in front of the truck. 8Ball and I worked it out with much effort

Progress on the overhead console

I used headliner material to cover the monitor pods and made a center section which will house both of the keypads, cb radio and a few other goodies I have planned for it.

Here is a sample Keypad that will control the cameras. The center was cut and formed from 18 gauge steel. Angles were important along with forming a rigid back edge

One more view from the back of the truck.
    The top edge should be the approx height of the headliner

I am working with Rod from Total Vision of Tucson, AZ. Total Vision Products: The new standard in mobile vision products I gave him the thoughts I had and he developed the system. We are working together with the install. So far my end of the install is almost done. Rod is designing another system that could be a great addition to the FJ crowd along with others who may want something like it. The system being designed is not this involved for the install. Mine is just over the top. I will post more details about that soon
    The wife's TT will be fitted with that system this weekend

Just a small update. Besides all of the wiring I accomplished the oh center console is painted and fitted.

I am pleased with the way it came out. There are still some things to add to it but it is on the way to being complete.

Next will be one more set of cables to run then the headliner can go back up.
    I am waiting for the cables though

I will start with a view from the drivers seat while driving home from Tucson. The left picture is facing forward from one of the 2 front facing roof cams. The right picture is the long view rear roof cam picture. I was hoping to catch this guy pickin his nose

We have most of the system in and 2 of the cameras viewing.

There is lots of wiring and configuring to do. This is the semi complete oh console after today's progress

Even though it doesn't look like it, we are fairly close to trimming everything out and doing final adjustments, before the headliner goes back up. Its a slow process because this is totally custom and there are many things that come up while we progress

Wiring in the 2 ecu's that are controlled from the keypads on the console

I can't wait till I can start putting stuff back together. It seems like the more we do the more we take apart, but that's the fun of making something from nothing.

The part you don't see is the DVR. I forgot pictures of it, but pictures will follow

I decided to make a harness for all the switches in the OH console. I ran one 12 gauge wire for power and a ground. Then soldered and wired each switch. I used (2) 5 wire cables to use as trigger wires to run to all of the accessories that will need to be switched. I should never have to pull anything apart in the roof area to add anything from now on .

This is just a pic of all the switches being tested

Of the 9 switches in the console 5 are already dedicated off-road light and The Baja Camera System.

Today is camera install day part 2
    Here is a rock spotting camera located on the front drivers side. The passenger side has the same

I drilled a 1" hole angled down and painted the exposed edge. The camera's have brackets that are epoxied in place

Approach angle camera

Here is the departure camera or backup cam

Rear axle cam protected buy my skids and with clear view of the dif and inner tires

Quad channel DVR with GPS tracking and alarm mode

Here is the wiring finalized. It will not move or show after the headliner is installed. We still have to test the whole system before the headliner goes up just in case..

Here are the 2 ecu's wired and ready for testing. I am going to make a wire keeper for the top of this where all the wires that come out of the ecu's will so have support above them so they won't wiggle out. Testing mode doesn't require neat appearance til I know its right

As part of my Camera mod I have had to relocate a few things
    This is a picture of the way my GPS was mounted before the Camera Mod

Since this is close to the configuration I am dealing with now the GPS needed a new home

Here is what I fabbed up today to make that new home for my Lowrance

Pardon the sloppy look I tack welded it in many places not to distort the metal. I will clean it up and paint it.

This has a swivel mount from a fishfinder like it was in it's previous location

Here it is where it will be mounted. I still have access to the transfer case shifter and all the controls on the dash along with still being able to see the radio controls

I made the angles specific so I could still shift with no interference. Its 16 gauge steel with formed edges and 1 inch bar stock to re enforce the lower plate then 1/4 inch dowl rod bend and joined in the middle with a baseplate welded on top to attach the mount

I can now reattach my rear view mirror.

I may mount it with industrial strength velcro but am still pondering it as of now. I am open for suggestions on the mounting though.

Ok After testing my system in a local rough wash area, I cannot get the video system to mess up so I think it's ready to finalize. The picture reflects wires secured with the sound deadening. I used strips of it to stop possible wires coming loose and rattling in the headliner. The sound deadening is extremely sticky, so I doubt it will come loose. Everything else was wire tied into position

Everything in the rear is secure and the next step will be to secure the OH console and tie wires out of the way.

The DVR is now mounted in a different location so it will be easier to control it with the remote. Top of my rear Battery box is where I chose. If you look at my gear box, on my build, it fits against the battery box so you only see the carpeted boxes instead of wiring

View from the passenger front. If you look closely you will see that the DVR is actually recording

It felt good to install trim panels. It makes me feel like progress is made
    Taking matters into my own hands I will post up the headliner install
    First picture is what needed to happen to get this project underway. My wife and I peeled the old skin off the headliner. It took some time and patience, but came off nicely

Presto its magic. Off with the old

The headliner color I chose was a graphite. I wanted to rich it up some, since I was changing it anyway.

The method we chose was to lay it out then fold it half over and begin spraying the headliner glue in a section at a time

The last part was where the modification was needed for my monitor pods

Since I changed my mind on colors I had to redo the monitor pods in the correct color. That took the most time since I had to pull everything down and pull all the monitor cases out to make a clean install over my custom console. It was worth the extra effort for sure.

Installed and making small adjustments on it

After taking a ride it is more quiet than it was before all the insulation.

I bought too much headliner material because I wanted to be ready for problems. 8 yards of headliner, 3 cans of headliner adhesive and 6 hours is what it took to do it from start to finish. $99.89 is what the project cost me.
    My wife was a really big help on this end of the project. I am fortunate she allows me to play with my toys and humors me when I ask her opinion of my latest brainfarts

I am so glad I didn't leave it up to an incompetent shop to do this. It came out the way I wanted it to.
    The jury is out on the gray accents, visors etc they actually look pretty good when you see it in person. I may or may not recover them to match the headliner
    This project is pretty close to being complete. I have to put my Don box back in, the frig, the dvr and I am ready for some awesome trail video.

One more picture to show the complexity of the orientation of the monitors. I wanted to make sure I could have full use of the visors, so this part was difficult and I made many adjustments on it.

Thank you everyone.
    Comments like these have helped in my motivation, when it seemed as though things were not happening as they should. It's all good now.
    Its been rewarding to accomplish something that has been in my mind for awhile.. The bonus is, it worked out better than I even expected to. It's been a long 6 or 8 weeks , but I really enjoyed the challenge. I expect to get lots of trail video. Group runs should be fun along with trail interviews

Some guy in a big truck left me some boxes at my door.
    Overland Warehouse Delivered on the very nice looking suspension system. After talking to Mark and Andries From Overland, it was clear they had good ideas on how to design suspension, for the type of wheeling I enjoy. Adventuring and some Rock Crawling. He went through the detail of my weight distribution, to be sure it was designed correctly. Awesome customer service and speedy shipping had me installing a majority of the components today.
    Here are the toys I got to play with today.
    Overland Warehouse, designed Radflo 2.5 coil overs, rear springs and 2.5 rear shocks.
    Coil overs are installed rear springs installed. I just have the shocks and sway bar to put on and crank the coil overs up.

Just a quick trip down my road to help settle in the coil overs before I start cranking them. Over the speed bumps I could already tell the difference in how they returned. Again I still have the rear shocks to install and I will think about the sway bar. I may even opt for a limit strap. I have to get it tuned in and test it out .
    Also new are the Dick Cepek Mountain Cats 315/75/16&#39;s on Toyota off-road alloys. Pictures will follow on install
    More to follow...

The full install was time consuming but, working on my rig is the best therapy in the world. I took my time and had Zero, issues with the kit. Overland Warehouse emailed the install instruction that were clear and thorough.
    I have had many experiences installing suspension components, so I already know what to do. I review of the instructions, helped, because I forgot some of the tool list.

I decided to put the front swaybar back on. I took a ride after the rear shock install . Then brought it back, to start leveling it.
    I have exactly 7 inches between the top point of the tire to the bottom lip of the fenderwells, on all corners. My gas tank was close to empty. I took another ride down the highway and got gas. I came back and had to crank up the drivers side a bit to level it again. I may crank it another 1/2 inch on both fronts, then ride for a few hundred miles, then check it again. After I level it again , I will take it in for a front end alignment.
    Here is a pic of our 2 FJ&#39;s The TT has a 2 inch spacer lift and stock 265/75/16&#39;s Compared to about 3" on Wikid. 315/75/16&#39;s . The difference in height is pretty dramatic, as you can see

Suspension porn shots

As it sits, it&#39;s almost perfectly level, I may want it slightly higher than level, we shall see.

I have a few more upgrades the list

Arrived from Toytec are Rear Lower Links
    Very beefy with Jonnie joints

1" Body lift. It actually took me about 4 hours to install it. Some of the body bolts needed a bit of PB Blaster to persuade them.

You can see the inch difference in the way the bumper sits. I will have a solution to make that look correct again. I am working on it

One more addition is the 1" dif drop. I had to get some longer bolts for the skid plates but it was fairly easy to work out.

After much consideration, I decided to get some new wheels. My motivation comes from the fact that the Fj Off-road alloys looked good, but I really wanted something a little wider to make my tires flatten out some. I didn&#39;t want to go too wide, I still wanted to fit in the fenders and not rub too much
    Here is the wheel I chose.
    Method Racing Wheels
    16x8
    4.5 backspace with Zero Off-set

I really haven&#39;t seen these on any trucks around here and didn&#39;t see them on the forums either

I decided to get new lug nuts, so I chose the Gorilla splined lugnuts. I like em

My only rub is the silver bolts. I think they are working for me though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast