Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sloppy steering, steering wheel vibration, etc

Re: sloppy steering, steering wheel vibration, etc

I remember you posting up about that neighbor, sucks. Since I pay a good amount of money for my little piece of land I try to make the ones around me not hate me (I have to stop burning wet wood in my fire pit. I think some of the neighbors think I'm going to burn the neighborhood down). Makes the days a wee bit more enjoyable. If I had to go to war with a neighbor I would unleash hell and enjoy every moment of it.

ok i got the driver's side half shaft and ball joints in about 1:15 hrs. getting the axle shaft to pop in and out were the most difficult parts of the task, but in retrospect, not that difficult.

getting in the ball joints were much, much easier than i thought. no way i'd do this mod without that puller tool.

so i took it for a little drive and i could tell right away that the steering has improved. i am going to do the right side lower BJ tomorrow. i am confident that this is a good fix for now.

one question: when i removed the tie end that comes off of the steering rack, it just flopped down like a limp fish. is it supposed to have some tension on it that keeps it semi horizonal with the steering rack?

thanks,
    bob

mine didnt stay up or have any tension , but that would be a symptom of warn inner joints (toyota calls them rack ends). i have no in-out play in the joints so i called them fine.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I popped the tie rod bulb (term?) and the juice just ooozed out. i used the ball joint tool. i can't believe this happened. great. on that note, how do you guys or waht do you guys use to *not* pop the bulb?

anyways, the ball joints are on both sizes. i am now taking the time to change out all the fluids. the front is brand spanking new...considering i have not taken my truck out in a very, very long time!

by bulb you mean boot? if you popped it, it was probably brittle and ready to go anyway. tie rod ends are not too expensive, but you shouldnt have to replace it right away.

i just use the regular puller and make sure the jaws stay away from the boot as much as possible when i break em loose. i do have new TRE's though.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

yeah the boot bulb, haha, im such a tard. i thought i was careful but it gdid get pinched. thanks for all the help in my thread. now i gotta change out all the fluids. man my trans fluid was filthy.

haha no problem. i should have done an oil change, but i just simply ran out of time.

my runner is having the same syptoms and the jackholes at they toyo stealership said it was the damn tires. i dont have the space nor the tools to do such a job, but thank god i have one of those extended warranties. next weekend im taking the truck to the tire shop and havong them rebalanced. when that doesnt work ( cause im sure it wont) im taking it back to those guys and making sure they fix the damn problem. is there a link for this so called "ric" and his horror story? thanks and good luck!
    2002 4runner sr5<br />2000 tacoma prerunner

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123