Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sloppy steering, steering wheel vibration, etc

Re: sloppy steering, steering wheel vibration, etc

I read that the test for the lower ball joint was as follows:

Jack the truck up by the lower UCA so that the tire is off the ground. Then put a crowbar between the tire and the ground. Lift the crowbar and see if there is forward/backward movement. Basically checking for slop as you pull up slightly.

I still need to try this too...
    1999 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4 E-Locker: DR Coilovers ~ Camburg UCA's ~ OME 890+10mm ~ Icon Rear 2.5 Resi's ~ 235/85/16 Hankook Dynapro MT's ~ LC Rims

bob, id really go ahead and replace the uppers as well. if you have it apart its easy.

however, if you choose not to do the uppers at this time, its not too terribly difficult to remove the 4 bolts from the lower ball joint (you wont have to press out the lower joint from the tapered hole, it will just stay in the LCA)

the uppers really do require a press to put back in. i have one. you are more than welcome to stop by one weekend when convenient and ill press em in for you.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

alright guys, i just had some time to do some additional reading about the cv axle replacement and the LBJ replacement (i will need to remove the cv axle). so just for the sake of getting things rolling, i went outside to remove the tire and remove the grease cap off the hub. good lord, whoever put that on in japan put it on with a vengeance. i cannot get this thing off with a screwdriver. i even sacrificed an old knife to try to at least open up a seam. anyone have a tip/trick to this?

...this is so fargin' embarassing.

Bob

pry bar. you just really have to beat on it. my first ones i had to crush to get off. the ones i have now are slightly dented and dont seal completely, but ohwell. they are very difficult to get off.

if you have a flat knife (putty knife), that might work to get it pried up a bit. PB blaster the heck out of it too!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

sean,

once again, thanks. ill soak them in pb tonight and give it a go tomorrow. neighbors won't like the metal to metal beating im sure

did you bash at the crown of the cap? or try to work the seam between the lip and the rotor?

work on the seam, you will eventually cave it in.

ive thought about welding rings to the outside so i can just pull them off when i need to.

now there's a thought! i thought something along those lines too, but my welder is in its home and my passenger side of my truck is only 5 inches from it so i can't take it out now. f'g small garage >:|

ok, f#k that old lady neighbor of mine. i got a hardened chisel and gave it a few good whacks and eventually a little lip formed. i proceeded to go around the cap and finally flipped it off. thanks for the tip, sean.

getting off the large thirty-whatever mm nut was easy too, but took some effort with a cheater bar. thanks for the socket, lance.

the rest i will do tomorrow. i think it'll get easier from here, according to what i read.

bob

Bob you sound too nice. At least once a month I run an air hammer, impact, die grinder and angle grinder. I don't go all out and don't use them too long but I make some noise (along with occasional loud cussing-typical when I'm working in the garage). We've got a kid, the neighbors have a kid and another neighbor is pregnant and has a kid and we also have some old folks. I try to keep their needs in mind (I know all about a childs/preggo lady mid day nap and the need for quiet) but can't guess right all the time, that's why I keep it to a minimum. Hell I'll probably die early because of all the cutting, grinding, painting and welding I do in my garage with the door closed in an effort to not be "that guy."

oh trust me, i'm not nice. i have gone to war w/ this old c##t even to the point of getting into her face and telling her i own her and you better not f##k with me, you old b###h. if you met her, you'd understand. she ain't a nice little old lady. she even walked into a neighbor's backyard uninvited, got caught by 3 neighbors, and then at the board meeting (to which she is a member of), lied about being caught that day.

anyways, its not worth fighting anymore, 2 yrs of that headache. but yeah, i understand what youre saying

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast