Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More suspension Q's

More suspension Q's

I know there are myriad threads on the subject but I cant find the specifics I'm looking for. Maybe you guys can help.

My '97 SR5 is in great shape all the way around but after 170K the suspension (original I think) is VERY tired. She's got an advanced case of the squat and leans to the left about 1/2 inch. The front shocks are completely done and my commute gets scarier by the day as I bounce and sway down the road in a hideous manner. So, I've decided its time for a face lift. My goal is 2 inches over stock or about 37/37.5 the the fender flares (black SR5 trim and 265/75 Kumhos)

After considerable research and a great deal of conversation with Steve at Sonoran Steel about my situation I just ordered the OME 906's and I'm strongly considering the Sonoran Steel tundra coil overs for the front. I want to run Bilstein's in the rear to match the front, aesthetically and otherwise.

so my questions are: 1. Will these respective front and rear setups compliment each other well or are there issues of incompatibility that anyone can see? 2. Which shock do I order for the rear, part #, eye to eye, stock length etc...? 3. Will I need any extra parts for the rear or am I OK with only a 2 inch lift?

Thanks for your help.
    '97 SR5. OME 906 rear, Toytec Bilstein coilovers w/facory springs. 265/75r16 Good year duratracs.

Re: More suspension Q's

Honestly you're in exactly the same position I was about 4-5 years ago. Have a look at my setup, I've had no regrets at it still rides great. Don't neglect the shocks because that will cure alot of the "bounciness" you're seeing now.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Don't get me wrong, the fact that I need new shocks is the reason I'm doing all of this in the first place, I figure its a good time to upgrade while I'm at it.
    Just curious though, with your 906 rear setup, are you running any spare parts like brake lines or drop bar?
    Also what kind of driving to you do? This is my daily driver but when I wheel I like to push my trucks limits and don't want any problems with broken shocks or brake lines.

I know that bilstein is what I want and I need to know what shock to order for the rear. Anybody?
    &#39;97 SR5. OME 906 rear, Toytec Bilstein coilovers w/facory springs. 265/75r16 Good year duratracs.

why not just get it all from Sonoran Steel? you get bilstein at the right length every thing works as it should. it also comes with the bar and the brake lines.
    97 ltd e-locker ss 7.1, maglite, deckplate, stereo

2 reasons.
    1. Too expensive. I got rear springs for $150.
    Add SS's econo coilovers for $500
    All that leaves me needing is rear shocks for ~$200
    I can save alot of money without the bar and lines which are not needed, as far as I know, for only 2 inches of lift. which leads me to the second reason.
    2. I don't want that much lift
    &#39;97 SR5. OME 906 rear, Toytec Bilstein coilovers w/facory springs. 265/75r16 Good year duratracs.

the bar keeps the back wheels under the truck where they should be after the lift not off to the side. the lines you might as well get just to be safe on the road. why not see if you can buy the shocks from ss. the shocks off the 7 kit are probably what you are looking for.
    97 ltd e-locker ss 7.1, maglite, deckplate, stereo

as for needing a new panhard bar: if you do the math, you will find that with 3 inches of lift, the bar is only a few fractions of an inch short (1/4-1/2 inch IIRC) so its not the BIGGEST deal in the world. however, the stock bar is weak and will bend if you offroad as hard as some of us do on this site.

however, please get a longer brake line. if that line fails, it will be a very bad day!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Ok so heres what i've done so far. just ordered the Toytec Bilstein adjustable front shocks to be used with factory coils. that takes care of the front. As for the rear, OME 906 coils. all I need now is rear shocks and from what I've read, the 5125's are a little mushy so I'm back to doing my homework. I've also read that the bilstein HD's are too stiff. I need something in the middle, Tokico's maybe?
    Steve at SS said that a stock length shock would work for a 2 inch lift and would thus limit my articulation and up travel eliminating the need for new brake line and track bar. (I have access to these parts if I need them)

any suggestions for rear shocks?

Quote Originally Posted by bootboy
    Don't get me wrong, the fact that I need new shocks is the reason I'm doing all of this in the first place, I figure its a good time to upgrade while I'm at it.
    Just curious though, with your 906 rear setup, are you running any spare parts like brake lines or drop bar?
    Also what kind of driving to you do? This is my daily driver but when I wheel I like to push my trucks limits and don't want any problems with broken shocks or brake lines.

I know that bilstein is what I want and I need to know what shock to order for the rear. Anybody?
    Nope, no brake line extensions, no panhard bars, no spacers.
    My truck does 99.9% on road duty at this point, but has done quite fine offroad with this setup in the past.

- Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Quote Originally Posted by bootboy

Nope, no brake line extensions, no panhard bars, no spacers.
    My truck does 99.9% on road duty at this point, but has done quite fine offroad with this setup in the past.

Thanks for the input

but on another note: Sh*t! apparently the bilstein 5100's that toytec sells (the ones I just ordered) dont work well on a 4runner at all, as per Steve at SS. He says they are specifically designed to work with tacos ONLY. If thats the case then how can toytec sell them in good conscience?

Anyone have experience with these?
    I need help! because if thats the case I need to cancel my order. Why is this so hard?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast