Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Why we are screwed

Re: Why we are screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Small_words
    I've thought about the dollar value a bit more and I agree with the guys's conclusion that unless something is done to stabilize its value it will decrease in value relative to other forms of currency. If this happens it will be harder for the US government to raise capital by selling the bonds which support the dollar. This may result in less of the crazy spending that the government has been doing for the last twenty years. Who knows, it may actually help us long term. What are ya'll's thoughts?
    I definitely agree with that!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I'm going to revive this thread because I think our current situation warrants it?

Does ANYONE think that we aren't screwed?

Health Care:
    The Health Care Reform bill did NOTHING to address rising costs, which are due to us becoming fat bastards (which stems a lot from stupid farm subsidies that date to WWII), defensive medical spending, overhead costs of filing claims (bureaucratic complexity b/c insurers protect profits and consumers don't see a direct impact b/c health insurance masks how much getting tylenol from the doc for a fever costs).

Economy:
    The reform of Wall Street won't do anything. The $50 billion reserve fund required by this bill would have disappeared w/in one week after this last crash. The bill requires no separation of risk between traditional banking and insurance operations and the gambling, I mean derivatives market, that tanked the big companies. Instead of encouraging companies to grow, our government goes crazy on spending, making it scary for any company to survive much less expand. Why expand if you don't know what Congress will do next when you could hunker down and survive a while???

Foreign relations:
    Agree with Mexico when he insults your county by insulting Arizona. Do nothing to criticize China because they're our banker and you don't want to make your banker mad. Do nothing to keep Iran from going nuclear. Do nothing in response to North Korea restarting the war by killing hundreds of allied sailors. Hang back when the Euro is crumbling in spite of the fact that they are trading partners and partners in Afghanistan.

Environment:
    Stop in to visit the Gulf Shores looking like Sean Penn on a photo op. Working on Cap and Trade, which empowers corporations by making it VERY much in their interest to lobby (buy) our politicians in order to get concessions on carbon which they can then sell on the market for a quick profit (Yes, this was passed in Germany and this is what happened)

I'm overlooking some things but these are the thoughts running through the mind of an unemployed man stuck in a state with no prospects for economic recovery, trying to sell a condo in order to get somewhere that's working. Oh, and the only critique I hear on my local news is that it's still raining, but nary a comment about how badly we're screwed.

Don't think I have any love for the Republicans though. Those idiots are letting Pelosi lead the country by allowing her to dictate the topics to be discussed by Congress. Also, instead of doing something productive, they actually investigated steroid use by baseball players. I don't care if Clemens used fish tranquilizers, do your job running the country. Republicans are also enjoying watching Obama's poll numbers drop, thinking they'll capitalize on it. They might, but they'd do better by loudly proclaiming policies and providing strong leadership, not nipping the heels of Obama.
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

Ive said it before, I said that if obama got elected, we will be SCREWED, even the obama supports back then are agreeing now, a few have even said they are sorry that they voted for him, lol
    I really feel sorry for our kids.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

I been saying were doomed for ages now, not many listen and thus we are screwed.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

We're not screwed.

But great Chicken-littling.

Great job belittling, but nothing substantive offered. Care to try again?
    96 4Runner, 2.7L 4WD<br />&quot;Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. &quot; - Jefferson

haha

Nah, just saying we aren't screwed.

I just started reading the Declaration of Independence during my down time at work today. I was really blown away. It's amazing to see how much the ideology has changed since the creation of the Declaration of Independence. The parallels between the British Empire under King George and the direction our country's leadership has gone is pretty amazing. Kinda scary IMHO.

I would really encourage everybody to read the Declaration of Independence. Good stuff, and it isn't very long.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by calrockx
    Nah, just saying we aren't screwed.
    Agreed, but that's only because nothing is permanent, both bad and good.

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    I just started reading the Declaration of Independence during my down time at work today. I was really blown away. It's amazing to see how much the ideology has changed since the creation of the Declaration of Independence. The parallels between the British Empire under King George and the direction our country's leadership has gone is pretty amazing. Kinda scary IMHO.

I would really encourage everybody to read the Declaration of Independence. Good stuff, and it isn't very long.
    i did an essay along those lines in my english class this last semester... we are about as far away from the original ideals in the Declaration as we could be, and its a very sad state of affairs...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast