Thread: Thinking about low-balling a sweet M101 trailer... advice?

Thinking about low-balling a sweet M101 trailer... advice?

So, we sold my wife's truck about 6 months ago, and we have missed it a couple of times already. I've known that we would probably "replace" the truck with a trailer for the 4Runner, and I may have found the one... (apologies, I don't have pictures right now, maybe tonight if I get ambitious).

It appears to me to be an M101 trailer, and it's pretty cool (although it will need some work). It's BIG (rolling on 9.00r16 tires, which are 36" tall) and has full bedsides and a tailgate in back. So what I'm wondering is, what do these things usually go for, and what should I look out for? This would mainly be used as a utility trailer for hauling fire wood, yard waste and stuff to the dump, appliances, etc. I'm not really interested in making it a full expedition trailer but I might take it camping here and there if the whole family goes.

Things I'm aware of:
    • It's been sitting with a for sale sign on it next to this restaurant for at least 4 years, not sure if its ever been moved. I'm hoping its at least able to roll.
    • It has trailer lights and a 4-pin hookup, that's a good sign
    • I need to ask the owner if he actually has a title for it, not sure if I want to go through the replacement title drama...
    • The tires are not great but probably ok for a temporary solution (they have a little sun cracking on the tread), this will only be a beater utility trailer for now but I might change it over to 8.25r16 tires later which are 33" tall (tough looking military tires are a must!)
    • It's got a little rust on the fenders and bedsides, it may need a little bondo in a few spots...
    • It has a pintle hook, and I would plan to keep it. A pintle hitch from Harbor freight would only cost around $50 anyway.

So, taking into account all of that, I was thinking about low-balling the guy $200 and seeing if he would take it just so I would get it out of his hair. Does this sound ridiculously low, or at least a starting point? Thanks for the input.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: Thinking about low-balling a sweet M101 trailer... advice?

The trailer I'm looking at looks almost exactly like this one, minus the spare tire:

Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Those be some VERY large trailers, actually proportionally it wont fit with the runner to well as it will be a bit wider.

I say offer 100 and see what the owner says.

Without a title cant you just register it as home made with ease?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Those be some VERY large trailers, actually proportionally it wont fit with the runner to well as it will be a bit wider.
    It's definitely pretty big, but I think I could at least tow the thing (I'm actually worried a little M417 wouldn't be big enough for things like hauling a cord of wood). Its box is probably around 5'x6.5' (guesstimated). I need to measure it and see if it's hitch is just too high off the ground to tow with the 4Runner (I was looking at a lifted pintle hitch, like a 4-6" raised one).

I say offer 100 and see what the owner says.
    That's kind of what I was thinking, it's been sitting there forever and from what I've seen on the government liquidation websites you can in theory find a good condition M101 starting at $150 if no one else bids on it...

Without a title cant you just register it as home made with ease?
    I'm not sure if there are special considerations for ex-military equipment. I'm going to cross-post this on the IH8MUD Trailer Tech forums and see if they have any good advice for me...
    Brian

Yes, you will be able to tow it, will it look rediculous even with a 4-6" raised pintle hitch? yes Due to the width and the height of them.

For example on my lifted 4runner, I'm running a 3" lifted pintle hitch and my lunnete ring is in the lowest hole and it has 31" tires and the trailer sits level. On our stock tacoma with the same setup, the trailer is angled forward a little bit. You may be able to get a higher raised pintle hitch since you don't have a tailgate to worry about, just have to clear your door.

You can probably get smaller tires for it which will help and possibly find a different set of springs to lower it, but it's still going to be pretty damn wide.

I wouldn't be worried about how much a M416 will carry as it will carry quite a bit. The reason it is called a 1/4ton trailer is because it was made to tow behind a tiny jeep that could only tow 1/4ton across country and it was made to still be able to float a river crossing with 1/4ton in it. For example, the flat bed version for generators/welders is called a 3/4ton trailer, but it has the same frame, springs, axle, and tires.

Another thing to consider is the weight of these things empty. The m416 is 700ish empty, so I'm not sure what these weigh empty. Also, a fully loaded for camping M416, I can move around on the driveway by myself, I don't think I could move one of those by myself with it empty.

All that being said, I could see myself having one for my ford worktruck but it would still look rediculous until I found some new rims and much smaller tires. I actually want to get rid of the Ford and get a bobbed duece and a half for hauling, then I will definately get one of these trailers.

My signature

Well the guy called me back and said he's got a bunch of these and is asking $975 each

Oh well, I'll put this on the list with all of the things I'll buy when I have more money than sense.
    Brian

975!!!! I see these for cheap all the time.

If you really want one, hold out for one more reasonably priced.
    My signature

Must be why they have been sitting around for so long. I saw a bunch in Weed, CA for about $500 IIRC. They are very big and look beef. If you're looking for a utility trailer look around, you can get a lot for $500. I think for what you mentioned it would fit the bill nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    975!!!! I see these for cheap all the time.

If you really want one, hold out for one more reasonably priced.
    Yeah I thought that seemed pretty high, I was able to find some at govliquidation for like $300... Oh well, I'm in no rush.
    Brian

$500 is what they go for at teh surplus stores around here too.

Awhile ago I was thinking about getting one of these, even figured out you could switch it to axle over spring to lower it a bit, the deal killer was when I found out they weight ~1,400 lbs empty - that was just too heavy of a starting point for me
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread