Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: aftermarket cv's as good as stock ones?

Re: aftermarket cv's as good as stock ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    thread hijack!

Jeff! Good to see ya buddy Hope married life is treatin ya well!

Carry on
    I'm doing well. You have an awesome website here, dude, and your truck is looking great!

Regarding the strength of the front axles on these vehicles, check the ARB website at www.arbusa.com and look closely at the axle shaft diameter specs for the front diff. I'm surprised most owners are generally content with this front diff and axles. It's only 1.1" compared to 1.31" on the newer 4Runners and Tacos and most other Toyota SUV's (with the exception of the 1.37" axles that's in the newest Tundras, 200-series Land Cruisers, and Sequoias with a new front diff that's said to be stronger than a Dana 60).

Max torque of an axle is calculated with the radius to the fourth power, so a very small change in diameter makes a huge difference in strength. As soon as you get a front locker, you have to be careful to not break a front axle in 3rd gen 4Runners and similar Tacos, although the locker makes the front diff itself stronger.
    2000 4Runner with lots of mods - S/C, locked front and rear, 33&quot; MT/R&#39;s, custom bumpers and skids, etc.<br />God Forgives, Rocks Don&#39;t.

thats interesting they inreased the diameter on the shafts. i think the most common break is to rip the CV cage out of one of the ends of the half shaft. ive read about a few axle shaft breaks but most breaks apear to be a drooped, turned, wheels that break the cage.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Seal the boot with RTV for now, I did it to an older truck my friend had and it lasted for a good long while.
    Or try Shoe Goo...that seemed to work better for me.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123