Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: C.B.I. Gen 3 REAR BUMPER Build

C.B.I. Gen 3 REAR BUMPER Build

Getting a rear bumper on the FUNrunner has long been overdue and has become a huge need for my surf safari and prerunning/race-chasing activities down in Baja. There are two major/serious reasons why the need for a real bumper; 1)I need to be able to carry a full size spare and 2)I need to make room for a fuel cell where the OEM spare is. Too many times the FUNrunner has all but made me walk from running out of fuel. For those of you that haven't ventured south of the boarder; gas stations are few and far between, when you do find one there is a good chance it will be closed or out of fuel. Not fun being stranded without gas in Baja at night.

To accomplish this build I turned to Steve Eagan of C.B.I. Fabrication out of Idaho Falls Idaho http://cbioffroadfab.com/. I have seen Steve's work up close on the Lucas Oil Off-Road Racing Series Bully-Dog pace truck that I ride in. He fabricated the bumpers and rear cage for that truck and it has served well bombing through the short-course jumps so I figured his work would be more then sufficent for the FUNrunners duties as a race-chasing prerunner.

We started by tearing off the old tow hitch and bumper. (hitch for sale)

Then fabrication started on the bracing for the future bumper and swinger.

Progress seemed slow, but I'm sure tomorrow will look more promising.

Our priorities in this build are to fabricate a performance/duty oriented bumper that is lean, high-clearance but still stout enough to carry needed items (spare tire, fuel jug, jack and breaker bar). I told Steve I didn't want some land-anchor that was all for show and not for go.

Stay tuned to see what we come up with as we are currently slaving away in the C.B.I. Shop. Any constructive input is always welcome.
    God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

Re: C.B.I. Gen 3 REAR BUMPER Build

Cool. I'll be interested to see what you guys come up with.

sweet, cant wait to see the finished product
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Not sure if Steve has little elves working for him or what because somewhere between midnight and 6am some progress was made on the bumper. Not sure how that happened.
    Notice the inside bracket to add to bumpers support and still allow it to be "bolt-on".

Stay tuned; Steve has some unexpected surprise in-store for this build that I'm sure you will love.
    God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

I already want one of these. Sign me up!
    --Chris--<br />Facebook Me!<br />1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited / Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift / 4Crawler Offroad 2&quot; Body Lift / ProComp 8069 16x8 / 315-75 GoodYear Duratracs / Modified ARB front / BruceTS Rear / WABFAB custom stuffs

More progress made:
    To reinforce the frame, bumper and receiver hitch a cross brace was installed from inside frame rail to rail.

Things are moving along nicely and sliding the bumper skin on there you can see what direction Steve is moving. I can't wait.

For an added option a glove-box is added, Steve calls it the "bumper-box." It ate up a lot of time bending the folds but I think it will be awesome storage for a wet muddy tow strap or just security for the hitch receiver pin inside.

Hey, every pastor needs a holy bumper...

Things are looking very nice. Cant wait to see the finished product.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

That "glove box" idea is SMOKIN HOT what else can I say, I like it, lol
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Nice! I like these bumper build threads.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    That "glove box" idea is SMOKIN HOT what else can I say, I like it, lol
    Thanks its welded in with the lid, turned out real clean and flows well with the rest of the bumpers lines. Very cool and clean!

Now for the fun part, getting the sides and corners put together.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast