Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: C.B.I. Gen 3 REAR BUMPER Build

Re: C.B.I. Gen 3 REAR BUMPER Build

DONE, Whohoooo!!

Bumper turned out awesome and I'm VERY pleased with the shops quality craftsmanship; they have a lot of pride in the products they are putting out there. Many many many thanks to the crew at CBI for their countless hours spent pounding this bumper out and making a jig for everyone else to have one. It was an honor to GET to work along side in the CBI shop, special thanks for all the patients you had with a preacher cutting, welding, and grinding. I learned a bunch and still have all my fingers.

This bumper is designed to be "bolt-on", outside of drilling a couple extra 9/16" holes and asking the neighbor for some lifting help it fit perfect.

Show & shine:

Dimple dies to give it a little race flavor and of course add to the structure rigidity.

Steve can lay down a nice bead that's for sure. I saved a few of them before he ground them off smooth. I guess some people like the seamless smooth look, but not I when the beads look this good(picture doesn't show well).

Just the right amount of space. I like how the shop caps the ends to give the bumper a factory/finished appearance and strength.

Form follows function. This is a stout bumper.

I'll take some pictures of the tire rack when I get it on, but for now I'm off to Farmington NM for WERock's rockcrawling finals.
    God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

Ok, wait a minute here... Just stop! that bumper you got there was 500 bucks give or take a few built from CBI? either or that's a pimpin bumper, and far superior looking than the one Sonoran steel fab makes. i have been on a long quest to either find a decent bumper to buy or just build one myself. i do have a fab shop and all the tools required, but that bumper is sick, and well worth the money it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Blownmtr
    Ok, wait a minute here... Just stop! that bumper you got there was 500 bucks give or take a few built from CBI? either or that's a pimpin bumper, and far superior looking than the one Sonoran steel fab makes. i have been on a long quest to either find a decent bumper to buy or just build one myself. i do have a fab shop and all the tools required, but that bumper is sick, and well worth the money it seems.
    Yes Sir, this one is from CBI. Your right nobody is producing anything anything to be proud of. I think the CBI boys hit this one out of the park from a form follows function point of view.

If you think this is cool just wait until you see the swinger. It is going to have a lot of desert prerunner/chase influences on it. Stuff nobody is doing!
    God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

Yes Sir, this one is from CBI. Your right nobody is producing anything anything to be proud of. I think the CBI boys hit this one out of the park from a form follows function point of view.

If you think this is cool just wait until you see the swinger. It has a lot of desert prerunner/chase influences on it, stuff nobody is doing!

QUESTION: Since you have a fab shop and are familiar with the cost of steel, what do you think just the material cost of this bumper is?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain
    Show & shine:
    Steve, bumper looks good! I'm diggin' it even w/o the swingout tire carrier.

Couple questions - Is that an exit pipe for your exhaust in the photo above? Not a bad idea...just would take me some time to get used to seeing it like that. Also, by installing this bumper, is the stock spare location void now?

Last question - you mind taking a few more photos of the bumper before the tire carrier goes on? I appreciate your close up shots, but I'd also like to see a few photos from a little further back to see how well the bumper flows with the overall look of your 4Runner. (Would help give me an idea how it'd look on mine.)

2002 4Runner Sport 4WD
    My 4Runner Profile: Click Me

If you think this is cool just wait until you see the swinger. It has a lot of desert prerunner/chase influences on it, stuff nobody is doing!

QUESTION: Since you have a fab shop and are familiar with the cost of steel, what do you think just the material cost of this bumper is?
    Yes, Great bumper, i love it, and would love to have one myself. As more material cost (for me to build following X pattern) was a 3x3x1/4 square tube, $130 a stick, so 8 feet, 3/16 plate, receiver tubing, other things here and there. probably close to 200, but you never know. Gas bottle might run out, 40 bucks... Could be anything. Plus to be honest, I'm a good welder and fabricator, but not that good. definitely worthy of getting powder coated.

Also i like the idea of the swinger as well, but wouldn't work out for me because i work out of my truck, I'm a mobile boat mechanic so toolbox and all sit in the truck, rear hatch gets opened a lot

Oh and one more things, what's the wait time for the bumper minus the swinger?

absolutely amazing work. nice touch on the exhaust outlet. yes, post pics from a distance!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Slide
    Show & shine:
    Steve, bumper looks good! I&#39;m diggin&#39; it even w/o the swingout tire carrier.
    Couple questions - Is that an exit pipe for your exhaust in the photo above? Not a bad idea...just would take me some time to get used to seeing it like that. Also, by installing this bumper, is the stock spare location void now?
    Last question - you mind taking a few more photos of the bumper before the tire carrier goes on? I appreciate your close up shots, but I&#39;d also like to see a few photos from a little further back to see how well the bumper flows with the overall look of your 4Runner. (Would help give me an idea how it&#39;d look on mine.)
    I&#39;ll get more pics when I get a chance (traveling at the moment).
    My exhaust goes up and over the frame rail and out the bumper (to increase ground clearance) that is why we had to cut a hole in the bumper. Steve was really excited about this part (sarcasm). The exhaust outlet had us scratching our heads some because there just isn&#39;t a good place to put a 5" hole. The piping is 3" throughout the entire exhaust, outlet/tip is 4" and requires a 5" hole. I either needed to scrap my sweet polished 4" tip or start cutting. At the end of the day we decided on the outlet you see because it has the same lines as the rear fender flares and front fender flares.
    I haven&#39;t had the exhaust tip reinstalled yet so it will look better once this is done.
    old bumper with hole.

What about the stock spare location...is that now unusable w/ the bumper installed?
    2002 4Runner Sport 4WD
    My 4Runner Profile: Click Me

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast