Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auxilary lighting wiring???

Auxilary lighting wiring???

Well, I'm getting ready to wrap the mods up on my 4runner for awhile and last couple of things on the list involves a set of lights namely (Lightforce) and a Blue Sea fuse block (6). A high lift jack is the last item on the list.

Currently, I have my CB and a set of PIAA 510 fog lights wired directly to the battery put the power/hot connector for the battery is a pos and needs replacing and I don't like running those accessories off of it because of that fact (yes, I know I can replace it).

So the plan is to wire them to a blue sea fuse block (found on for a good price off a marine equpiement site) to help clean things up a bit. As well as wire in a second set of lights (got to love Shrockworks for including spaces for additional lights on the bumper.

Now the question I have is what guage wire should I run from the fuse block to the battery? How would you all attach the fuse block: just velco it to the top of one of the factory fuse blocks or attach it to the firewall? I've used the search function and my head is just spinning from reading.
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Re: Auxilary lighting wiring???

Quote Originally Posted by ttora4runner
    Now the question I have is what guage wire should I run from the fuse block to the battery? How would you all attach the fuse block: just velco it to the top of one of the factory fuse blocks or attach it to the firewall? I've used the search function and my head is just spinning from reading.
    I would run 10 gauge wire from the battery to the fuse block to handle all 6 circuits allowing for future additions, and then 14 gauge wire to the lights (my HID's have 16 gauge wire, but a 100W halogen pulls more current than an HID setup). My Painless 7-circuit fues block has either 10 or 12 gauge to the battery, and then I think 16 gauge wires out to all of the components. I mounted it under the hood to the passenger-side fender just in front of the ABS system, it works great.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Check out this guide for sizing wire based on expected current draw, Its numbers basically line up with what I've used in the past. Some other sites show that you can use higher gauges for higher currents, but I would use this one to be conservative. I do think 10 gauge can probably handle 30 amps in most situations, I used it on my 4Runner's electric fan (about a 6 foot run) and it seemed to work fine although the connectors did end up melting and I had to solder them instead...

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/am...uge-d_730.html

It basically says for a 15 foot run:
    • 5 amps - 16 gauge
    • 10 amps - 12 gauge
    • 15 amps - 10 gauge
    • 20 amps - 10 gauge
    • 25 amps - 8 gauge
    • 30 amps - 8 gauge
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I ran 8 gauge to my Blue Sea fuse block. I goes from the battery through the fire wall to the blue sea that I have mounted under the stereo. I forget the length of cable but 8 gauge was the wire to chose. The only high draw device I have in the blue sea is my 100W hellas. The rest is led lighting, GPS and 5 amp circuit to my OBA.

8 gauge would be what I would use, but overkill is always better imho.

You can go buy a decent length of welding or battery cable (get the batt cable at your local autoparts store), then connect that up to the fuse block with a 30amp or so circuit breaker (for extra protection) inline. I used 4ga, but 6ga would work as well.

Then wire everything using 14ga or 12ga, thats the size I used and would use again. Although the light sets I got the wiring was 16 or 18ga and it probably woulda worked, larger ga wiring can handle the current better.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

How about relays, do you have them in your plan?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Hint: Answer should be yes.

Well, I ended up ordering the following from Marine Technology.

Blue Sea 5025 ATO Fuse Block, 6-Circuit with Cover and Negative Bus
    Blue Sea 5001 SEA Mega Fuse Block
    Blue Sea Mega SEA Fuses 100A-300A (ordered a 125amp fuse, fiqured that be enough).

OEM Toyota Foglight Switch

I think I have my blue sea write up here somewhere. I'd run the smallest inline fuse to the box to minimize damage. As you fill the box update the fuse. I looked this morning but couldn't find it but I thought I read somewhere the the 6 spot box is only good up to 100 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I think I have my blue sea write up here somewhere. I'd run the smallest inline fuse to the box to minimize damage. As you fill the box update the fuse. I looked this morning but couldn't find it but I thought I read somewhere the the 6 spot box is only good up to 100 amps.
    Ya, I just caught that as well and changed my order.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast