Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Auxilary lighting wiring???

Re: Auxilary lighting wiring???

Here you go

My switch looks different but I'm sure the configuration is the same. If in doubt just test with a multimeter. One of my prongs was gold and I think it was one of the prongs on the end (not the middle one). IIRC the prong far opposite of the gold prong (on the other end of the switch) is the ground prong and the middle one is for the leg of 12v to continue.

The wiring kit I got with the lights has the connections to connect to the positive and nagative battery post. Since I'm going to be running the lights off an auxiliary fuse block would I just then connect those wires to the fuse box since the block will already be wired to the battery?
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Yep. I saved the factory wires my lights came with and cut some wire for the shorter section. My relay is about 6 inches from the aux fuse box so it was easy. In the end my harness for the lights was 14 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Yep. I saved the factory wires my lights came with and cut some wire for the shorter section. My relay is about 6 inches from the aux fuse box so it was easy. In the end my harness for the lights was 14 gauge.
    Okay, that answers that but I'll just modify the harness that came with it. The other question is then for the switches would I just run a second wire off the same post to the switch or would I just need the splice the wires together?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you using a relay? You'll want to run the switch in the line that comes from the switched 12v ignition source. This trips the relay that sends power to your lights from your aux box.

You an wire it with a relay OR wire it straight up and fuse it. AKA power to fuse to switch to back out of switch to device. The relay is safer overall since most switches arent rated high-but the fuse usually takes care of that. All I gotta say is I have a giant lightbar that pulls like 30amps with everything going wired in the manner I said and NO ISSUES.

And by lightbar I mean 4 100w halogen rotators, 4 100w halogen wigwags and 2 100w halogen side lights. Then again its an E250 with the ambulance package and iirc like 200amp alt.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

And by lightbar I mean 4 100w halogen rotators, 4 100w halogen wigwags and 2 100w halogen side lights. Then again its an E250 with the ambulance package and iirc like 200amp alt.
    What the heck do you drive? Work? What do you do?

I work for a roadside service company. I install batteries, change flat tires, unlock cars, and jumpstart cars. We mainly work for AAA doing service calls all day. For this kinda work I carry 30+ different batteries, onboard air compressor (3 gallon 12v), I have all kinds of jacks, tools, lock out set (can break into nearly anything if I want to besides certain european cars) a jumpbox, etc. Basically I do whatever it takes to get you going on the road. Ask YotaFun, hes been with me more than once.

My lightbar is needed for many reasons: Chiefly to make sure no dumb schmuck hits me when im doing work on a busy road or hwy. I also use it in parking lots to have people spot me. But mainly for safety, its much better in person too.

Heres some videos, 1st one is of my actual bar the others are ones like it. Sorry i just took the one of mine and the camera is ok at best. Believe me in person its bright. FYI: lightbar is a federal signal streethawk 52 inch, i also have a arrowstick i gotta put on the back of the truck when I get a chance thats bright too. My boss&#39;s truck has a similar lightbar but he also has strobes in the signal and tail lights.

http://tinypic.com/r/2vt40hd/4
    Federal Signal Streethawk Lightbar THE MOTHER OF ALL LIGHTBARS
    StreetHawk Lightbar

Tought you guys might like to see the finished product.

A few things first.

1. Thanks to those whole helped me with the my wiring ?&#39;s. It wasn&#39;t that hard, I just tend to overthink things

2. Thanks to Wil and Wen at Sierra Expeditions. Great to work with.

3. For those 3rd gen 4runner owners with the Shrockworks bumper. If you decide to get a set of Lightforce 170 lights they will not fit in the holes provide by Shrockworks. You have to drill new holes about 1-1/2" over from the exiting holes and request the low light mounts. Otherwise the lights will be too tall by roughly 1/4 - 3/8". Thanks to Wil for the new mounts.

4. My mounting setup is for the Shrockworks bumper with the single hoop.

5. I reversed the lights mounts so no modification was required to the grill (have about a 3/8 -1/2" clearance).

6. The wiring hook up for the lights suck!!! The crappie connectors they supply you with in the wiring kit are junk (IMO). I ended up destory two of them.

7. Thanks to Johnny Lange of the Wasatch Cruisers for helping to mount the aux fuse block and fuse.

Okay, so here are the pictures after that little rant/soap box :sombrero:. Pardon the dirty battery. I still need to do some clean-up.

Aux fuse block mounting bracket (see #7). Kind of took us awhile to fiqure out where to mount the block since there are not that many good places in the 4runner&#39;s engine bay to mount it too.

Aux. Fuse

Since I already have a set of PIAA fog lights installed I had to fiqure out a new mounting location of the lightforce relays. The best solution I could come up with was to mount it where the control for my DRL&#39;s was. Since I already disconnected them prior to this in seemed like a good place.

Where the module used too be:

Relay installed

I ended up mounting the inline fuse to the bolt/location that I have the relay for my other lights installed. By the way the mounting hole in the inline fuse is a little small. All of the wiring I tried to run along the left side fender under some of the hose&#39;s which made for some fun times.

Aux. fuse block all buttoned up.

The stock switch proivded with the wiring kit again sucks but that&#39;s my opinion so I picked up another factory switch. Only thing I have to do is run a ground wire so it will light up.

The finished product

The clearance issue I mentioned in #3 and 5 above. The lights sit pretty flush/inline with the front of the hoop.

I&#39;ll post up some night time pictures tonight once it gets a little darker.

Good job!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast