Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Auxilary lighting wiring???

Re: Auxilary lighting wiring???

With all the driving I do in snow I can't see where blue would be better than a warmer color. My first truck had some fogs with yellow filters and they were great in the dark with snow. The 2wd wasn't so good.

Yeah, I've read the CPF threads about LF filters and they are kind of retarded. All the people over there who do the bagging on LF have never seen them in person or used their filters for varying conditions/terrain. Most over there say that the yellow also won't work in the fog, but I can tell you from experience that the yellow filter (especially combo filter) works great in the fog (much better than a clear combo filter does). They also keep harping that Hella is DOT certified and LF's aren't which is retarded because who cares if your offroad aux lights are up to a govt standard.

The people over there who have/had LF's love them, but like most forums there are certain bandwagons that seem to be followed by most. They get really hung up on beam pattern/hotspots/etc.. which are more important with the awesome flashlights they make but aren't as important for us when we just want to throw a lot of light all around. I've been reading a bunch of automotive aux lighting threads there and you have to take what they say with a grain of salt as far as aux lighting goes.

That being said it's like comparing apples to oranges with two similar sized lights and one is HID and one is halogen. If you have a decent offroad light and can upgrade to HID, do it, because it will make it a really nice offroad light.

To the OP, awesome job on the lights/wiring you won't be dissapointed with those 170's.

I think the blue is supposed to be good for driving in the snow (but not hile it's actually snowing) I think yellow would be better for actually drivig in a snow storm. You can se in his pics that the blue works pretty good on cutting down on the glare coming back off the snow banks.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer

They also can take a ton of abuse too, with no glass lense to break.
    Thats another plus to them. I myself have ben trying to figure out the hellas and a rockguard thing. Was thinking about making some possibly out of plastic or a metal mesh or adapting something else to fit.

Now hellas website i know says the kit comes with stone shields, but I assume those are just the fancy covers.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer

I've been reading a bunch of automotive aux lighting threads there and you have to take what they say with a grain of salt as far as aux lighting goes.
    That's most or less how I take anything any more.

Thanks for all the comments, some interesting viewpoints.
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Now hellas website i know says the kit comes with stone shields, but I assume those are just the fancy covers.
    They're not really that fancy actually. There are a few after market versions of a snap on clear cover (some colors I think). Boogeyman here on UY has some on his 500's.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    They're not really that fancy actually. There are a few after market versions of a snap on clear cover (some colors I think). Boogeyman here on UY has some on his 500's.
    Hella makes clear stone shields for the 500's, but not for the 700's :P Lame...
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I think I could make some outta some old wire fencing or stuff you can get at any home center, shouldnt be that hard.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox

P.S.
    You really shouldn't use the blue filters for snow (or basically ever), the best color to use in snow or fog is one that won't easily reflect off of it- which means low-kelvin colors like yellow (3000K or so). Blue (around 6000K and up, those filters look like they convert the light to around 12000K) is the color MOST likely to reflect off of snow, and therefore is least effective from a penetrating power standpoint. There are lots of threads about this very issue over on CandlePowerForums.com, and they all agree that using a blue filter in snow is just retarded. It's kind of interesting actually, lots of people over on CandlePowerFolrums view Lightforce's marketing as a complete sham, and most people over there prefer Hella for vehicle lighting systems...
    Ya, the blue filters kind of stink. I've tried them out a few times and they done ok but I'm not impressed with them.
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345