Thread: School me on the Tundra/My T100 goes to the dealer

School me on the Tundra/My T100 goes to the dealer

Ok, tomorrow is D-Day. I am bringing my T100 to the dealer b/c I have lost all hope and feel they just might figure out why no matter what I do the rear axleshaft I replaced leaks (funny, why didnt it leak before tho when it was bad and vibrating), why I have a vibration and anything else they may find faulty that isnt an insane cost to fix.

To bring anyone interested up to speedAtm the rear axleshaft has been totally redone for the 2nd time and I just changed the shoes a week ago and bingo it F'n leaks. My only ideas are: the housing is bent of has a crack, its not done right, or the breather isnt working (checked and seemed fine but IDK). As for the vibration-seemed like the front driveshaft was bent, maybe the CV's, rear shaft seems fine. Have a bit of play in the rear when its up in the air-I can move the wheels and it goes CLACK CLACK when in park. Why the frontend seems to have a clack side to side when everything thats a wear part is brand new pretty much and why my floorboards and overall truck vibes oh and why the drivers side is SUPER harsh on bumps.

I am about 50/50 on just saying F if they can fix it either way and buying a 00-06 tundra. Looking mostly for an access cab and a TRD package one (anyone know what it has besides stiffer shocks/springs?) Preferably trying to find an 05-06 b/c of the added power of the vvt. Tell me im not nuts and this makes sense? Idea is if I did buy one im gonna sell the T100 and just get rid of it for no less than 3k if possible (no I wont sell it to ANYONE from the board, I would feel guilty so dont ask) and sell this pos ford taurus I gotta replace brake lines on for like maybe 1000 or so. Hopefully netting me somewhere around 3500 dollars. Then Im gonna use some savings to make a downpayment of 7-10k hopefully.

So assuming I can find a truck I want for less than 15k (is that realistic, do they sell ones with maybe 50-75k or less for 15k-I do have a friend who can source me one possible for whatever his cost is) or so I need to know of any real issues they had and if I should look for anything inparticular. Do I really need the TRD package or could I just simply buy a lift kit (which I think I would want a mild 2 inch or so), will 265/75/16 tires (31.7 inches) fit properly, is it true the access cab doors dont open from the outside unless you opent he other door-except on 04 is it+? Should i be on the lookout for anything I want to stay away from or find? What year did they upgrade the brakes, does the dealer still consider it a recall?

I really would prefer not to spend, but the allure of the very powerful V8, the access cab doors that open, and the fact I wont have to bother with my T100 anymore. I honestly am torn, b/c I actually like my T100 and have upgraded alot-but feel that if it cant be fixed or even if its fixable it just aint worth it anymore. Better to just rid myself of the headache and buy something else. Cant find any T100s for a reasonable amount (5k is reasonable right?) with less than 150k on them.

If I did buy a Tundra would probably lift it maybe 2 inches or so, get some nice wheels (pretty sure my 4.25 backspace mickey thompsons wont work if they wont fit on YotaFuns 96 4Runner with 16" brake package?) and tires and maybe some other misc stuff and just work to pay it off.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: School me on the Tundra/My T100 goes to the dealer

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Preferably trying to find an 05-06 b/c of the added power of the vvt. Tell me im not nuts and this makes sense?
    '05 and '06 are the best years because of the vvti and also the 5spd auto.

So assuming I can find a truck I want for less than 15k (is that realistic, do they sell ones with maybe 50-75k or less for 15k
    I don't think that sounds totally unrealistic at all. I've seen '05 double cabs around here for 15k, but with maybe a bit more miles. I'd think you could find an access cab for less than 15k.

...is it true the access cab doors dont open from the outside unless you opent he other door-except on 04 is it+?
    Pretty sure the access cab doors on all Tundras can be opened without opening the front doors. The doors on the access cab have their own outside handles.

Just my $.02.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: School me on the Tundra/My T100 goes to the dealer

Thanks man, we shall see what the dealer says tomorrow.

Im being optimistic here, but if I can at least get the axle to stop leaking I might live with it. I just dunno anymore, I been chasing issues for years now.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX