Thread: Weldable Primer

Weldable Primer

Has anyone here used weldable primer. I think it was Lance and Bob that was talking about it in JT. What brand do you use and did you like it? I want something in a spray for ease of use. I called a welding supply store today and they said they didn't have any in stock so they would have to order and said they'd order whatever I wanted. For that matter I guess I could go online and get some but I've noticed many different types. What was your experience with it? I'm looking to weld some angle onto round stock and don't want any rust under the angle. Short or pouring paint down the inside of the angle (I don't think there is enough clearance) I was thinking the weldable primer was the way to go. Any other thoughts or products I should look into?

Re: Weldable Primer

i really dont know if that stuff seeps beneath the seams and protects it. my guess is no b/c it just seems to burn off. not to mention, my welds weren't as clean as wehn i welded on bare metal

so what im saying is that i dont know what the solution is

Ok thanks. Maybe I'll just drill some small drain holes that will also act as holes to get some paint in there. I was thinking about just squirting some oil or the like in there but would rather not attract a bunch of dirt.

ive had success (so far) with spraying a rust preventative after welding, or in some cases (like enclosing tube) just before welding the entire thing up. ive never had it catch on fire either.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Ok thanks. Maybe I'll just drill some small drain holes that will also act as holes to get some paint in there. I was thinking about just squirting some oil or the like in there but would rather not attract a bunch of dirt.
    Drill a small hole and squirt some of that expanding foam stuff in there. Although, now that I say that, it might act like more of a sponge and hold onto water.
    My signature

yeah ive seen lots of VW guys fill their pillars with expanding foam and it ends up causing major rot in 1/10th the time!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.