Thread: 2001 4Runner rear OMe installation

2001 4Runner rear OMe installation

I'm installing OME lift on the back of my 2001 4Runner and having trouble get to the upper shock mounts. They are different from what I have on my 2005 where they are mounted outside of the frame rails. On 2001 they are inside the frame rails and I can't find the way to get to the nut on the driver side. I shell say it it very difficult to feel the nut on passenger side as well, but at least I got my hand to that point.
    I need your help and advise. Truck is on jack-stands and I want it to be running on Sunday.
    Alex<br /><br />2005 4Runner V6 Limited<br />Custom LT 5.5&quot;, 35&quot;, 4.56, ARB locker<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel<br />Warn 9.5xp, Custom Roof Rack, Hella HIDs<br /><br />2001 4Runner V6 Limited<br />3.5&quot; lift, 33&quot;<br />Hella 4000s<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel - coming<br /><br />2009 AE Expedition Trailer<br />35&quot;

Re: 2001 4Runner rear OMe installation

Drop the spare if you haven't done so already.
    2001 4Runner 3.4V-6 SR5 4x4 Money Pit<br />2008 FJC TT SE 6 SPEED stock

get the tire out of there, sit under the truck (yeah i know) and you can get your hand up in there to reach them. not the easiest bolts in the world, but not terribly hard once you find a good way to get to them.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Navigator

the 2nd gen was a pain in the butt to get to the rear shock upper mounts... i was wishing i had done an eye conversion so i never needed to do it again... but oh well... live and learn
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

If you aren't going to use the shocks again, you can just use a sawzall to cut through the top portion of the shock's stud. You do this by cutting through the rubber bushing at the top of the shock. You can have them both out in under 1.5 mins each with that method. Otherwise as people above have mentioned, its a PITA due to limited ratchet space and needing to grip the shock body at the same time.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD