Thread: Wheel studs...

Wheel studs...

Have anyone mentioned that Toyota actually saving on disc brake studs.
    I have 2001 with disc brakes front and drums on the back and 2005 with all 4 discs. I mentioned on both trucks that the length of the studs are way too short. I have aftermarket rims and on both trucks I have 5-1/2 turns on disc brake studs and 9-1/2 turns on drum studs. Why Toyota decided to save on the studs. They are missing of about ~1/4" of the length for an additional 4-5 turns.
    Is it just my observation...?
    Alex<br /><br />2005 4Runner V6 Limited<br />Custom LT 5.5&quot;, 35&quot;, 4.56, ARB locker<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel<br />Warn 9.5xp, Custom Roof Rack, Hella HIDs<br /><br />2001 4Runner V6 Limited<br />3.5&quot; lift, 33&quot;<br />Hella 4000s<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel - coming<br /><br />2009 AE Expedition Trailer<br />35&quot;

Re: Wheel studs...

Perhaps its your wheels? Have you tried stock wheels?

FWIW my truck has studs that are maybe 2 3/4 inches at most.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: Wheel studs...

Stock rims are having ~10 turns. Toyota made special shank lugs and use hub-centric rims. Aftermarket rims are lug-centric and use conical lugs.
    First I thought that it's just my impression, till tonight. I was putting new aftermarket rims on my wife's 2001 and mentioned the difference on the back. I thought why toyota made studs 8mm (~5/16") longer on the back. Do they use same studs and just on drums they pressed further, so exposed more. If they can do it on the back (exposed dimension), why not to use slightly longer on front (disc brake)? It is so obvious and convenient for final customer (using aftermarket rim).
    May be they want us to stick with original OEM rims, but why in this case make it in non-common size 16x7 or 17x7. Most common aftermarket size is 16x8 or 17x8 which is way more convenient, plus the backspacing is better for use with other tires.
    Just my findings....
    Alex<br /><br />2005 4Runner V6 Limited<br />Custom LT 5.5&quot;, 35&quot;, 4.56, ARB locker<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel<br />Warn 9.5xp, Custom Roof Rack, Hella HIDs<br /><br />2001 4Runner V6 Limited<br />3.5&quot; lift, 33&quot;<br />Hella 4000s<br />Custom ARB + CBI bumpers, Snorkel - coming<br /><br />2009 AE Expedition Trailer<br />35&quot;