Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12V Dual Cylinder Air Compressor Review

Re: 12V Dual Cylinder Air Compressor Review

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    How hot does the other one get? This one still gets too hot to touch. Oh, and I took new temp readings after 3 consecutive tire fills. Give me a minute and I'll add it to the original post.
    not sure but i cant touch the thing half the time after im done. i need to give it a minute and then its the "lightning hands" to disconnect it. 176 seems like you could grab it but it would be uncomfortable. the mv-50 will burn you if you linger longer then a touch

I don't know, it seemed pretty hot to me but I didn't try to disconnect it.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Steve, great technical review. Thanks for doing it. Also thanks for pointing out the issue on the website, it is now resolved, and we always welcome feedback.

A little background.

We got the dual cylinder compressors instead of the the single cylinder MV-50 type (both are available from the same distributor overseas). The dual cylinder is actually a bit more expensive to procure than the single cylinder, but we believed it to be well worth it for the following reasons:

MV-50 type is rated at 72 l/min vs dual cylinder was rated at 84 l/min from the same supplier (17% better)
    The dual cylinder runs quieter and cooler on each cylinder, with less vibration.
    The connector is off the cylinders itself, making for much lower temperatures at the connector (though it can still get hot eventually)
    The pressure gauge was closer to the tire allowing relatively accurate readings while filling the tire, saving time and guess work. This was not the case with the compressors with the gauge at the cylinder we tested.

I did a side by side test with the MV-50 vs the dual cylinder on 265/65/17 tires filling them from 16 to 32PSI (pretty normal pressure for most tires in that size). The dual cylinder was able to do it in less than 2 minutes (1:55), while the MV50 took 2min 35s. I prefer side by side testing as it eliminates variables like ambient temperature, elevation, operating voltage, tire size, etc, etc. Obviously there will be tolerances between units, so exact results will vary, but I would expect the dual cylinder to provide better performance than the single cylinder unit (at least at the manufacturers claimed rate).

At any rate would be interested to see further results and impressions. We tried to bring a better unit (at least in our opinion ) to market for a competitive price to a very popular choice for a lot of wheelers.

sweet! ordered and couldnt pass up your tree strap

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog
    I did a side by side test with the MV-50 vs the dual cylinder on 265/65/17 tires filling them from 16 to 32PSI (pretty normal pressure for most tires in that size). The dual cylinder was able to do it in less than 2 minutes (1:55), while the MV50 took 2min 35s.
    This matches up perfectly with my results as well, for that size tire. It took 1.89 minutes to reach 16psi and 3.79 minutes to reach 32psi. Therefore, it took 1.89 minutes (1m 53s)to go from 16 to 32 psi. Good to see our results match up which further validates your MV50 data.

I was impressed the gauge worked as well as it did when flowing air.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Thanks for the orders guys. Sorry about the darn software glitch but Andries has jumped on that and it's resolved now.

Unfortunately we have only 1 (one) compressor left in stock (been a very popular item) and the promo ends 31st October. Our next stock will not be available until December but just in time for Christmas LOL.

Once again, apologies for the tax glitch and thanks for the very informative write-up

Regards
    Mark
    Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

Navigator

damn... only one left? guess i have to wait til xmas...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Just a heads up guys we got our new inventory in of the compact dual cylinder and the heavy duty compressor. Apologies for the delays.

Make sure to grab yours as they seem to be very popular.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12