Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Educate me on netbooks

Re: Educate me on netbooks

I'm also looking at something like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180463522844
    My signature

I vote for the second one. Better processor. Downside is that it has a 3 cell battery. Rest of the specs look good for a netbook, but if battery life is important, try to find one with a 6 cell battery.

I have no experiance buying refurb Asus netbooks, so I can't really comment on whether or not that is a good deal.

Just my $.02.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Asus is supposed to be the one to get but I'm not sure about refurbished ones.

My brother, who works at Intel, said to wait until later this year when a new netbook chip comes out. I ended up getting a Dell before he told me this.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Sorry, late to the party...

"Santa" brought Samsung N130's to my kids this year. I then added Microsoft wireless optical mice for $19ea shipped.

They are nice machines (after spending hours uninstalling all the crap that comes on them). Now they run OpenOffice, Gmail and Chrome (I like to keep things simple).
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news...40-chipset.ars

i think thats the new intel chipset coming. i really dont know much but the hype was it was going to be much more powerful the the GMA950 that most netbooks have now and not use more energy. the nvidia ion chipset has tons of horsepower but it takes its toll on batterys and produces heat

We ended up getting the Asus - Eee PC Netbook with Intel® Atom™ Processor for $299 at bestbuy.

Still waiting for my 8hrs of charge time before I can turn it on.
    My signature

Awesome!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I hope it's awesome. With the added warranty plan (makes it a two year warranty) and with a case that came with a mouse for it, it came to just over $400

Here are some stats on it:

Intel® Atom™ processor N270
    Features a 533MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache and 1.6GHz processor speed.

1GB DDR2 memory
    For multitasking power, expandable to 2GB.

Note: Optical drive not included
    Compatible with optional external recordable CD/DVD drives (not included).

10.1" LED WXGA widescreen display
    With a 1024 x 600 resolution showcases movies, games and other images.

160GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.

Intel® UMA graphics
    Features 224MB video memory for lush images. Built-in stereo speakers.

Built-in 0.3MP webcam
    Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.

3-in-1 media reader
    Supports MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital and Secure Digital High Capacity formats.

3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
    For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Built-in wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
    Wirelessly connect to the Internet.

Built-in 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN
    With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.

Weighs only 2.9 lbs. and measures just 1.4" thin
    For lightweight portability.

Extended battery life
    Of up to 7 hours and 9 minutes to give you more time away from an outlet.

Microsoft Windows 7 Starter Edition operating system preinstalled
    Provides a stable computing platform.

Software package included
    With Adobe Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Works and more.

ENERGY STAR qualified
    Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.
    My signature

Chris,

I got the same netbook a couple months ago right before I left on deployment and it was ok. I liked how easy it was to carry it around but eventually I got tired of the small screen and the sluggish response while multitasking. I had to turn down a couple of the Windows 7 display features to help smooth things out but in the end, I sold it and bought a MacBook Pro.

I guess I just missed the performance and I could also never get the brightness high enough to use it outdoors. Hope your experience is going better than mine.
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA "TURTLE TACO"[/glow]  <All the goods listed here>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast