Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate me on netbooks

Re: Educate me on netbooks

Either one will do, but in my experience Asus is top notch. I have always used their components to build my systems and have never had any issues.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Yup, I've got an Asus motherboard on this pc. Good products.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I need to redo the OS X install on my dell by the way.

The keyboard goes out, the mouse goes out, it freezes when coming up from sleep...

Not sure what's causing all of this, but I suspect it's office 08 because it was running perfectly until shortly after I installed it.

I'm just gonna format the drive and do it all again, I can redo it in probably 1/3 of the time so why not!
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Also, the real low down on netbooks is:

Get one if:
    1) you have another computer, and need something portable for light email / web browsing
    2) you don't need to use them for an extended period of time away from a power source
    3) you don't depend on external media a lot
    4) you are patient.
    5) you don't want to spend more than 3-400 bucks.

Do not get one if:
    1) you don't have another pc to depend on
    2) you hate long load times, occasional quirks

my dell was fine as it was, but drove me nuts when it would get sluggish for simple tasks. It was a good classroom note-taker, I really only loaded OS X for the fun of it, and because I love OS X.

If I had to do it again though (and money was no object), I'd go for something more powerful and slightly bigger.

As for external dvd drives, they're cheap and easy to find, especially the ones that don't need the 110v power source. I have a great HP drive that is super fast, it requires the 110v source but it's also about twice the speed as my other one that is usb only.

at home, I use the HP... I bring the other (no name) along with me in my bag.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Get one if:
    2) you don't need to use them for an extended period of time away from a power source
    I disagree, the AspireOne with a 6 cell battery will last me 5-6 hours. I have saved full length DVDs to the hard drive with DVDFab HD DVD Decrypter (free, legit program) and watched TWO movies on battery power alone.

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Do not get one if:
    2) you hate long load times, occasional quirks
    I'm going to have to disagree with this also. I have that Acer AspireOne, and its actaully REALLY quick. Loads webpages super quick, boots really fast. Only thing that really slows it down is graphic intensive stuff like google earth. It's definitely not a graphic-processing type of machine, but GREAT with the right intentions.

My main PC I use is a nice Sony VAIO hooked up to my 46" Samsung LCD. Next to my bed is my Acer and it goes with me everywhere I travel.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

I would say Lee that your problems stem from OSX and dell itself.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

interesting. I found using word and powerpoint drained my dell's battery in probably 3-4 hours max.

-Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    my observations were from when it had xp.

OS X has been SO much faster. I think some of the extension files got corrupted when I did the office install, that's all. Just need a reinstall and it should be back to normal
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Even so its a dell, i had one way back when and it was good. Ones I worked on over the last 5-8 years lack in quality imho.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast