Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Blaster build

Re: My Blaster build

Well atm the carb wont tune i need to rebuild and it sadly like all newer hondas the carb is muy complicated!

But yea idk about pitting us together. Those 2 strokes got all power all the time, but damn does it suck to rebuild them alot. Thats why i went 4 stroke, that and all the banshees were super expensive and there is no other 2 stroke worth it imho. Blasters cool to mess with, but a real power quad is killer.

While were on the topic, I myself prefer flat out racing or GNCC rather than jumps, had one to many accidents attempting stuff lol.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

What kind of carb do you have? If you get a carb rebuild kit, i will help ya rebuild it. I can get the diagrams to it if you don't have any.

yeh a Banshee is what i want...i talked to a guy that does porting services for them all the time, and he said he can get 120hp out of one easily...that's SCARY!

Well i can say I have one thing on mine that is honda...the rear shock! Blasters came out with a crappy rear shock...
    Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.&nbsp; &nbsp;

Its a stock carb, it probably needs to be rebuilt as i get popping on decel. Its lean and no adjustment is helping. Also it refuses to run unless I set the idle super high. So yea, more work.

What I should do is get a new exhaust cause the one on there the idiot kid screwed the brace onto the exhaust. New full exhaust is spendy...

Building any quad can get really spendy tho, ive seen and rode on quads that had THOUSANDS of dollars of work done to them. Heck they werent stock pretty much at all anymore, i dont understand it honestly. 120hp out of a quad is downright scary. Stock EX has like 30 or so, more than enough for me since its light.

Sounds like your jets need a good cleaning...then reinstalled to the factory setting of however many turns from all the way in...say for example they say that a stock blaster Mikuni's pilot (air) setting is 1 1/2 turns from screwed all the way in. This info you can find on a good Honda forum. They usually have full manuals you can download on there for free, as i did and printed it out and got me a binder and now I have a full service manual from teardown to assembly. Torque specs and the whole 9...

You can also find guys getting rid of their exhausts for pretty cheap on forums too. One thing about a good exhaust, and I'm not sure about 4 strokes, but you gotta go up in jetting on the main jet if you get a better exhaust. It is night and day on the exhaust tho. When i got my Toomey kit, it came with the main jet and air filter element for it. I got mine brand new for a little over $300. Yeh...expensive...but wow at the top end power! Of course they supplied the air jet recommended setting for this combo as well. I was running a little rich tho with the main jet supplied, but you gotta play with it some and check the forums.

Right now I got like $600 in my total rebuild. this is not including the new exhaust, swingarm, and new tires and rims. I am well over $2,000 in mine, but it will run awesome and be much more stable. With a little research, there is a wealth of info on these things on some forums. Without the current forum that I am a member of atm, I would be lost on as to what to do to this thing. I messed with 4 strokes all my life until now. There is no cam, valves, or that stuff in these motors. The head basically consists of a chunk of metal with a hole in the top for the spark plug. Pretty straightforward.

I can agree with you tho...rebuilds are inevitable after a good season of riding straight thru. This rebuild should last me about 2+ years if not more. Depends on how hard I get on it when riding.

Thats exactly the issue with the exhaust and why i havent fixed the carb yet. A good non slip on will require rejetting. I need to buy a good exhaust as I have one no longer being made right now thats a nice true dual! Sadly I did try using muffler putty on the holes but imho it is only a temp fix if anything. New exhaust I want is about 400 bones, much more interested in saving my cash as during the winter I can rebuild. Probably gonna work on the jetting then, cant wait for another tue dual exhaust and ill sell my current one off for 50 bucks to whatever idiot wants it, someone might want the pipe for parts or something.

As for your rebuilding, its gotta be done since the oil mixes with the gas. IDK what kinda better oil you would use in a 2 stroke since its gotta be mixed. I currently use mobil 1 or shell rotella conventional in my 4 strokes.

I just ordered some Klotz Synthetic for the trans yesterday, and usually run amsoil 2 stroke racing oil. I was using the auto injection of the oil, but I heard the pumps fail sometimes, and that's catastrophic. So I bought a block off kit, took the pump out, and am gonna either run 32:1 or 40:1 when i mix it and run it during and after engine break in.

i just saw a 400ex today with duals off a forum. Check around...instead of buying new, you can find a used one fairly cheap. I found my pipe on CL after i bought it for half of what i paid for it. That's the only thing I am using that i bought with that kit. The air filter and main jet are useless. I'll probably put everything up for sale once the build is done so I can recoup some of the money. But yeh...I could find you a fairly priced set of pipes. If you want, i could check on the forum and see if anyone has a good set of pipes for sale? Changing the main jets aren't hard at all. Took me all of maybe an hour to change the jets, the pipes, and filter element.

Thanks for the advice.

Right now the duals work like this: both go together and run like motorcycle pipes usually do alongside eachother, then dump into the exhaust.

I bet once I fix the exhaust and rebuild the carb it will be fine.

Good call on amsoil and the syn trans fluid. As for the block off, very good idea, ive seen a few older quads get ruined due to the mixer pump failing.

Hey, its only money and in due time it will be done. Got all winter to do it, thinking on it I might powdercoat the muffler or pipes if you think its really worth it and wont wear/flake off after heavy use. Kinda want to trick the quad out a bit and make it less stock, right now all its got is some lousy offset rear wheels (I hate them cause it makes it tippy) and the kid I bought it off of cut the front plastics back all ugly.

I just googled that exhaust...wow over $700 for new dual exhaust! That&#39;s nuts...

You could go with a high temp powder on the exhaust...and it would actually help the resistance to corrosion, but over a period of a few years I figure it would degrade some. I haven&#39;t saw any actual evidence of it doing that, so don&#39;t mark my words on that. they have to be sandblasted well and prepped very well in order for it to stick and not flake off over time. If you could find a good used set and coat them to make them look good, then i would go that route. Screw paying over $700 for about 4-6hp gain! That&#39;s just crazy.

Another reason why i like the 2 strokes. Like a Chevy, easy to fix, inexpensive, and you know the parts are a dime a dozen!

What kind of carb and size do you have on the quad now? Have you checked on rebuild kits for the carb?

Here is a diagram to the carb

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m2657sch96828

Thanks for the carb diagram. Have you found a service manual for your blaster yet? I got one for free for the EX. I love the net sometimes.

probably gonna do a fatboy 4 exhaust from duncan or a DMC. dunno yet tho. Probably used tho.

ETA: Gonna most likely buy a stock pipe and slip on off ebay. Yea the gains can be nice from the full exhaust but in reality your not gonna get much better than the stock pipe. Trust me the thing has enough power, I was following a modified older CR250 that was bored out quite a bit and yea he had more power but i was keeping up ok.

Yeh i downloaded the manual, and printed it out at work and bought a binder from walmart and I have a full manual!

It seems the hp gains you get from the pipe isn't much...I'd do what you said and call it a day. Maybe one of these days you could save up some money and afford the full exhaust.

I figure my next rebuild will be a 240 big bore, then bore that out to a 250cc. That will push me clearly over the 40hp range, maybe somewhere close to the 50hp is what i'm thinking.

The possibilities...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast