Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blazeland Long Travel

Blazeland Long Travel

OK Pismo attendees - Did anyone get an impression or video of this guy's truck in action? He said he was there and even took an extra LT kit with to show off. Also says it's been in use on his and a few other trucks for the last 3 years or so. I've been doing some reading on the kit this guy developed and in theory it looks decent. Granted it's not super duty, it's not a TC Baja ready kit, but as recently as one or two years ago I've seen & read about budget desert racers using lengthened stock arms for long travel, so that helps reassure me of his methods. It seems like a compromise I could live with (easily replaceable parts/cost/install vs. established/widespread use), but I'd really like to hear some first hand impressions if possible.

Here's his site -> Blazeland
    2 threads from that other site -> Toyota Long Travel & Blazeland DIY Weld-up Kit

I'm guessing this is his rig
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: Blazeland Long Travel

In theory, I guess this should work on 4runners up to '95 and 4wd T100s since I'm pretty sure they all use the some upper and lower control arms - that would be a question for Nate at Blazeland though

I saw it, if I had an older truck I would rock it. Looks solid enough for me.
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

i looked at the kit he had displayed i didnt see his actual truck though. it looked well designed and well thought out. i talked with him for a few minutes about it. he seemed confident in the product being used in much the way i know you would use it keith. not so much a desert race truck, but more of general high speed wash boards, low speed trail runs where the extra travel will help, etc.

under 800 is not bad for the kit. a TC kit will cost you north of 2k.

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Didn't someone win a kit? Was it installed?

Nah, there weren't any blazeland prizes. He did have a set displayed by the main booth though.
    My signature

Oh for some reason I thought those were raffled.

yea i talked with the guy too. for the money it seemed like the thing to do with an older rig. they looked very tough and he talked about some young kid jumping them (against his advise and design intention) and they were taking the abuse. cool guy to talk to.

I think it looks quite good and a good idea if you want LT. However the overall strength of the frontend system of a IFS Yota is to weak to really run in the rocks. Basically even with idler arm braces or the TC one you still have issues with steering and alignment.

I still prefer SFA, less to mess with and less to break overall. Cost wise its an excellent LT kit.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Total cost / ready to bolt on, minus user sourced shocks:
    1. Modified stock LCAs w/ new poly bushings- $400
    2. UCA extension bracket / ball joint spacer- $200
    (bolt on - UCAs not included)
    3. Tie rod adjusting sleeves- $100
    4. Braided S.S. brakelines- $75
    Total $775 + shipping

But, with the DIY "kit" the price drops several hundred:
    A. Lower Control Arm Weld up kit: $100
    -Steel pack for LCAs (1 pair)
    -Fixture construction hardware and materials
    -Plans and Instructions
    B. Upper Control Arm Extension Brackets: $200 pair
    C. New Extended Length Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves: $100 pair
    D. Extended Length Stainless Steel Brakelines: $75 pair
    Total $475 + shipping + user sourced shocks

BTW, when we were in high school, my roomie raced on 1/2 and 1/4 mile ovals. To get the negative camber they needed on the front outside of the car, it was common practice to cut/lenghten/weld the LCAs - given some of the piss poor shoddy work I know most of those rednecks did on their cars, I don&#39;t remember a single control arm failure even though the springs are mounted to the lower arm (weight bearing).

I think that since the weight of a torsion sprung Toyota is carried on the upper arms, the biggest stresses the lower arms will see would come from bottoming out.

I think any of the dozen sheets of 1/4" plate I have would work great to put the jig together . . . so (skipping the brake line extension in favor of a 1 piece flex line) for $400, I have to jig, cut & weld the LCAs myself. I&#39;m thinking this would be a good xmas present to myself

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast