Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear bumper fab... A few questions...

Re: Rear bumper fab... A few questions...

I've definatley considered bracing/plating the rear potion of the frame... Hadn't thought about a new X-member though... Would you recommend keeping the stock one, with the spare tire winch? Or cut that one out and just go with a new one all together? Anyone running the LC rear set-up have any problems with the coils being too soft to run a rear bumper / carrier?
    --Chris--<br />Facebook Me!<br />1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited / Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift / 4Crawler Offroad 2&quot; Body Lift / ProComp 8069 16x8 / 315-75 GoodYear Duratracs / Modified ARB front / BruceTS Rear / WABFAB custom stuffs

Navigator

The LC coils will handle a bumper just fine... if anything it might level you out a little, but i doubt much... i have the rear LC coils on my 2nd gen, and towing a 6000 lb trailer didnt droop the LC coils all the way down... so an extra 100-150 lbs on the back is nothing...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kregg
    I've definatley considered bracing/plating the rear potion of the frame... Hadn't thought about a new X-member though... Would you recommend keeping the stock one, with the spare tire winch? Or cut that one out and just go with a new one all together? Anyone running the LC rear set-up have any problems with the coils being too soft to run a rear bumper / carrier?
    i cant comment on the LC coils too much with a rear bumper, i have airbags in the rear. but before that i noticed the coils were pretty soft, when fully loaded i was reverse raked or exactly level. id recommend the air bags regardless. i put them in knowing i would be towing a trailer with a tire carrier on the rear bumper, plus a vehicle full of stuff.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Navigator

technically you could sean... just drop ur bags to 0 psi and see what it looks like...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

^ shouldnt ever let airbags get that low when on a vehicle-can cause them to blow.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

yeah, airlift has a VERY good warranty, but you cant get the bags lower than 5psi. when im offroad i dump the air but thats a different story.

im still working on my tire carrier today, but ill dump the air out and see how it sits with a mostly loaded rear bumper (mind you mine is 3/16" and 1/8", so significantly lighter than what you are proposing)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by kregg
    keep the stock one in place...

I added a small one at almost the very back of the frame. With no spare there, I had plenty of space to put one. Wish I had pics of it
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Well I've got my rear bumper designed and mocked up in cardboard... I've already cut the ends off of the center beam and am witing fo things to slow down enough at the shop so they can cut the pieces for the sides... Still not entirely sure how I want to mount it... Any more suggestions?? Thanks ya'll!
    --Chris--<br />Facebook Me!<br />1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited / Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift / 4Crawler Offroad 2&quot; Body Lift / ProComp 8069 16x8 / 315-75 GoodYear Duratracs / Modified ARB front / BruceTS Rear / WABFAB custom stuffs

i would personally use bruce's design again with a plate on the top. same mounting system i used (i still have to make a plate, maybe next week)

the other alternative is to capture the frame like this:

Code:
    ____
    |  |
    |  |
    |  |
    |___|
    before the body mount (to the rear of it)

and like this ahead of the body mount

Code:
    ___
      |
      |
      |
    ___|
    so the bumper would slip inbetween the frame rails, supported by the hitch bolts on the bottom of the frame and resting tightly on the top of the frame. i hope that makes some sense. those diagrams are for the left side frame rail looking at the back of the vehicle.

a few teasers on how I&#39;m making my side wings now.......

Using a plasma torch to cut out the pieces and now making the 3 bends in my press brake after I made a few mods to it. Where before I had to weld the top plate....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast