Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear bumper fab... A few questions...

Re: Rear bumper fab... A few questions...

Well, I've gotten all my peices cut... Mine will be more of a weld together type deal because I don't have access to anything that I can use to make bends in 3/16th" plate... They are riding around with me in the Runner until I can get to a welder... Baby steps...
    --Chris--<br />Facebook Me!<br />1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited / Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift / 4Crawler Offroad 2&quot; Body Lift / ProComp 8069 16x8 / 315-75 GoodYear Duratracs / Modified ARB front / BruceTS Rear / WABFAB custom stuffs

my welding is slowly getting better....

I recently hotrodded my little 110v welder and it runs some really nice beads now.

99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    my welding is slowly getting better....

I recently hotrodded my little 110v welder and it runs some really nice beads now.

Not too hijack too much but how did you hotrod your 110v welder?

Quote Originally Posted by kregg
    Well, I've gotten all my peices cut... Mine will be more of a weld together type deal because I don't have access to anything that I can use to make bends in 3/16th" plate...
    I used to use a 4 1/2" grinder to cut a groove halfway through the plate, then it made it easy to bend, afterwards you simply fill it with weld. Much easier than trying to line up the plates and holding everything in place.

As for my 110v welder it is simply used as a backup, got a millermatic 200 or a miller 180SD TIG to do most of the work now. Most 110v welder are stripped of components to keep cost down. Basically there's a transformer to lower the voltage, then a bridge rectifier to change from AC to DC. Problem is the AC has a pause when the cycle switches, hence 60Hz. Higher end welders have a bank of capacitors to keep the DC voltage constant. So I added a cap to my welder, plus a few other changes.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Bruce, I'm too exhausted to squint at those pics, get us some high res ones, and of course a napkin to wipe the drool off of the keyboards? NICE!!

x2....bigger pictures please.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

So the ideas been seconded, anyone for a third?

OK OK added links just click pictures......

Bruce, what are the measurements on the new style sides? This "piece together" deal I'm trying is not gonna work... I'm gonna pick up some 1/8th and try the score and bend method... I have to get this done soon, I'm tired of ridin' around with a nekkid rearend!
    --Chris--<br />Facebook Me!<br />1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited / Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift / 4Crawler Offroad 2&quot; Body Lift / ProComp 8069 16x8 / 315-75 GoodYear Duratracs / Modified ARB front / BruceTS Rear / WABFAB custom stuffs

Bruce, how exactly did you "hotrod" your 110 welder?
    Cost? Difficulty?
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast