Thread: light project...

Navigator

light project...

This will be my first lighting project, so it may seem simple to you guys, but i have a few questions...

I have a pair of KC 6" 100w lights that i want to put on the runner.. but i think i want to HID them first. I read a few places online that HIDs dont do well with Long-Range/pencil beam lenses like i have though. Is there any truth to that? as-in should i look for driving pattern lenses to put on? or will the pencil beam lenses be ok?
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Re: light project...

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    This will be my first lighting project, so it may seem simple to you guys, but i have a few questions...

I have a pair of KC 6" 100w lights that i want to put on the runner.. but i think i want to HID them first. I read a few places online that HIDs dont do well with Long-Range/pencil beam lenses like i have though. Is there any truth to that? as-in should i look for driving pattern lenses to put on? or will the pencil beam lenses be ok?
    I think the color temp has as much to do with the throw as reflector. Most factory HID's fan out in front of the vehicle and the fact that they are super bright and are designed around a reflector they have a lot of throw. When you put them into another housing you compromise the throw and pattern. What bulb do your KC's have? An HID bulb is long and may not hit the reflector in the same place that the designed bulb does.

KC daylighters probably use an H3.

I wouldnt put an HID bulb in it, to much of a focused beam. Thats why the hella 500 and 700 free form works well, broader spread of a beam.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

thats why i havent swapped mine. they just work too well as spot beams for long distance offroad, hence why they are on top. ill likely get a set of 700FF to put on the bumper that will be HID's.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

My HID's for my 500ff's will be here on Monday

Navigator

ya it uses h3 bulbs... i can get different lenses for the lights farely cheap... and i want to be able to throw as much light out in front of me as possible... (entirely for off-road use).. if i do go HID, it will be probably 4300-4500k bulbs...
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock