Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting Hella 500FF's to 55W HID

Converting Hella 500FF's to 55W HID

So after some reading and spending I decided to convert my Hella's to HID. I followed Mastacox's lead and got the DDM 55w. Only difference is that he had the 700FF's. My order was backordered which was fine because I've been busy but they showed up today and I've stayed up past my bedtime.

Unbolted them from the bumper. They are full of bugs but oh well, the HID's will burn them off.

Here is the back side with the H3 bulb.

Here is my version. I removed the Hella clip and made my own spring clip with some wire.

Walla.

My plan is to make a mounting bracket for the 2 ballasts so they sit behind the bumper and not the grill. They will still get plenty of air but not be in the path of water from driving and rocks and other road debris. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow.
    Last edited by mastacox; 10-02-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Re: Converting Hella 500FF's to 55W HID

Did you take any before pictures of how bright the the 500FFs were with halogen bulbs to compare with the HID bulbs?

Nice write up! I'm still debating whether to convert my 500s or upgrade them to 700s or 4000s then convert them to HIDs.

I don't have any good pictures of the beam at night. I have a few from the outside of the vehicle looking at them. I swapped the stock 55w bulbs for 100w so there was already a difference from stock.
    I've used the light a bit the last few days so I know what the old beam looked like.

Nice! I'm excited to see some night shots!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Question for you Brian. The red and black wires? They are ground and 12v power right? I took mine out of the harness/grommet like you did but the instructions don't say much. I'm thinking red to power and black to ground. The other ends go to the ballast and the 2 wires from the bulb plug into the harness that comes off the ballast. Am I correct? I was going to look around online at lunch but figured since you were here.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Question for you Brian. The red and black wires? They are ground and 12v power right? I took mine out of the harness/grommet like you did but the instructions don't say much. I'm thinking red to power and black to ground. The other ends go to the ballast and the 2 wires from the bulb plug into the harness that comes off the ballast. Am I correct? I was going to look around online at lunch but figured since you were here.
    Yup, they are power and ground.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Nice! I've got another HID project coming down the pipe too. Just have to save up to get a couple HID kits.
    My signature

Yup, they are power and ground.
    Cool. I re-read the link you posted in your thread and confirmed.

I've got another HID project coming down the pipe too. Just have to save up to get a couple HID kits.
    Whatcha do'in?

Nice write up! I also have this project in the waiting. Finally ordered the DDM (Raptor) H1 5K 35W to convert Hella 4000's. After seeing a good use for them at pismo I'll be doing this shortly (hopefully before the end of the year).
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Whatcha do'in?
    I picked up 3 Lightforce Driving Light Arms (basically the light minus the screw on reflector and filter). Actually one of them came with a 140 reflector and filter, but the reflector is FUBAR'd. Plan is to buy 2 55w HID kits and convert the 3 arms plus the one that is my center 240.

After that, I'm not sure. Might sell two of them and someone can just buy the reflector, or sell them to someone that has 170's or 240's already and they just have to put their reflectors on them (give them a price break if they send me their old set of arms) and then I'll buy a 240 reflector. That would give me 2 240 55w HID and 2 170 35w HID's, or just keep them all and figure out what combination I want. Maybe buy 3 240 reflectors and put them on top of the 4runner.

Anyways, either way, I need to wait and buy 2 55w HID kits.
    My signature

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast