Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Converting Hella 500FF's to 55W HID

Re: Converting Hella 500FF's to 55W HID

With that much light you'll be bummed to drive on the road with just your regular lights.

JC, I think your Shrockworks bumper with HID 4000's will look pretty slick. I didn't really need Pismo as an excuse to go HID. I think I'm just scared of the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    With that much light you'll be bummed to drive on the road with just your regular lights.
    Or I guess vanna could always use a couple lights. No problem with hood glare if I put them up top.
    My signature

My wife was out with some friends last night so when the baby went down I went to work. I had to make a bracket to mount the ballasts on and I'm pretty pleased. I didn't want something that would come loose, block the radiator, expose the ballasts to unnecessary weather, etc. This is what I made.

Metal cut out and drilled for the ballasts.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Light%20Tabs/DSC07698.jpg[/img]

Ballasts mounted.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/Light%20Tabs/DSC07699.jpg[/img]

I don't have a picture of the bracket mounted but it is bolted to a factory support that is right in front of the radiator. The support goes up and down and the bracket is mounted in one of the supports factory holes. Everything is towards the bottom of the radiator so it's actually behind the bumper and below the grill. Nothing blocks the radiator and all is good. I didn't get any beam shots because I couldn't leave the house (baby sleeping and wife away) but I did get a fire up video. I was cleaning up the garage when my wife came home. She must think I'm a dumbass (other than the obvious) because it's taken me 2 days to "change the bulbs" in the lights.

LOL yeah my wife didn't quite understand what's so special about my new bulbs, until I fired up the lights. Then she decided I was crazy for needing something so bright
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Looks nice Mike!
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    LOL yeah my wife didn't quite understand what's so special about my new bulbs, until I fired up the lights. Then she decided I was crazy for needing something so bright
    My wife doesn't know about the HIDs or anything. She knows about the lights as they were already there but I told her I got some new brighter bulbs. I hope to get out for a drive tonight and whoa her.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Looks nice Mike!
    Thanks. I just watched the video again. It's kind of cool the way the camera adjusts to the increasing light. The instructions said the light is like welding flash and not to look directly into them. I was a little blind last night after messing with them.

How much did the hid kit cost? I really want to do this with my hella 500ff's
    1994 fzj80, factory locked,snorkel,
    MT stinger front, swing down rear,, cb, 37" km2s<br />1993 xtra cab... SOLD

Nice.

I just put the DDM 55W 4500K HIDs in my low beams. The OEM housings in the Hundy give a very crisp cutoff so glare isn't an issue. Light output is simply amazing.

I want to say it was about $50 or so for the HID Ballasts & Blubs, plus an upgraded wiring harness with relay.

I plan to drop in some 35W HIDs into the fog housings and into the projectors on my wife's Solara as well.
    -andy

I use the DDM kits. I have a 35w kit in the factory fogs and a 55w kit in the Hellas. I also have a 35w kit in the factory fogs of our Subaru. DDM has the 35w kits as low as $35 plus shipping. Price goes up with bulb choice and wattage. So far all of the kits have been working great and I'm very happy with them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast