Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Converting Hella 500FF's to 55W HID

Re: Converting Hella 500FF's to 55W HID

I'm running the same DDM kit as Mike in my factory Hella Micro DEs and the light output is considerably more than before. Lumen-wise I think it's 2.5 times more light and that's at only 35 watts. The Micro DE are a true projector, hence the name DE--"dipped elipsoid", so they have a really nice cutoff like a high-end automotive headlamp.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I use the DDM kits. I have a 35w kit in the factory fogs and a 55w kit in the Hellas. I also have a 35w kit in the factory fogs of our Subaru. DDM has the 35w kits as low as $35 plus shipping. Price goes up with bulb choice and wattage. So far all of the kits have been working great and I'm very happy with them.
    Mike,

I need to replace one of my factory fog bulbs, so I might as well do the upgrade. What style of bulb is it?

When you say "DDM" you mean DDMtuning.com right?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870
    When you say "DDM" you mean DDMtuning.com right?
    Yes, more specifically these: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    Great! The fog lights are H3's right? Did you have any problems with the new HID bulbs being too long for the fog light housing? I read somewhere that might be a concern. Also, did you get 6000K or something more yellow (4500 or 3000k)?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Another good site for HID lights is here http://www.vvme.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870
    Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    Great! The fog lights are H3's right? Did you have any problems with the new HID bulbs being too long for the fog light housing? I read somewhere that might be a concern. Also, did you get 6000K or something more yellow (4500 or 3000k)?

Erich
    I have the 4500 in my hella fogs, micro de's. They are a little blue but they were the warmest 35w option. This thread was for my Hella 500ff's and they too have 4500 but they are 55w so the output is way different. I run 3500, 35w on my wifes car and when you are driving they look a little yellow. When you get out and look at the light it's a sparkly bluish with almost no yellow.

Update:
    So I think I'm going to be in the market for some new offroad lights.

It's a crappy night time, in the rain, cell phone pic but as you can see the lights are gone. Stolen. Someone helped themselves to them yesterday at my park n ride, in broad day light. Actually it being light probably helped. The park n ride is quite hidden, has no security/cameras in the lot and no traffic during the day. I park head in to some bushes, not on purpose it's just the way the spots are, so I didn't notice they were gone until I got home. I drove back to the lot and found one washer on the ground so I'm pretty sure they were stolen there.

I'm sure they had a tool but it was probably a multi tool and not a socket wrench. One of the housings was broken off and the thin HID wires cut but the ballasts were still mounted to the radiator support. In short the lights are useless to whomever took them. I looked in all the bushes and trash cans but found nothing so I returned home and filed a report.

This is my second pair of Hella 500's that I've had stolen from a front bumper. The first pair were a completely stock pair of the original 500's (pre-FF) on my pickup. Whatever I replace them with will have a little more security.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 01-15-2016 at 05:35 PM.

That's sh*tty. I was about to say if it isn't bolted down someone will take it, but in today's world, if it isn't welded in place someone will take it.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    That's sh*tty. I was about to say if it isn't bolted down someone will take it, but in today's world, if it isn't welded in place someone will take it.
    Exactly, even security bolts aren't stopping people, with the new LED light bars and pods, they have been flying off the trucks more then the shelves from people stealing them

Sad.

Might be worth tacking the nut to the bolt.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast